SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now wont start...im at a loss replaced the belt and car just cranks cranks cranks..timing belt is still intact and i see the cam move thru the oil fill plug.

never seen anything like this! no relevant codes

2007 S40 2.4i manual transmission

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
And now wont start...im at a loss replaced the belt and car just cranks cranks cranks..timing belt is still intact and i see the cam move thru the oil fill plug.

never seen anything like this! no relevant codes

2007 S40 2.4i manual transmission
replace the alternator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the timing belt jumped?
ding ding ding..yes it did
enough to bend all 10 intake valves..
head is already off and valves are on their way.
not sure of cause/effect but the timing belt tensioner was jammed up and broken.

i guess the alternator belt snapping was a secondary effect.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
OUch! Sorry to hear. I'd be curious to know how much they're going to charge you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im doing it myself. not sure what makes you think the alternator belt caused the tensioner to break ??? That belt is not even directly connected to the crank.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
And that ^^^ is the reason why I only want cars with timing chains :D And why my C30 has one ;)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Does it really? Is it a diesel? And agreed..i.hate.that so much in these engines rely on a ruber band
Nope. No diesel. Ford Duratec HE aka Volvo 2.0l gas engine.

I will never ever buy a car with cambelt again. My last Volvo (960 with 3.0l 6 cylinder) had to have the cambelt changed every 45.000 km (about 28.000 miles!) and that was about 1.5 years of driving before it needed to be changed.

After changing my mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T5) cambelt, I was confirmed with that... Never.

I have converted a B6304S (3.0l whiteblock 6 cylinder from Volvo) to a timing chain... Though with an external oil bath and simple tensioners, but I wouldn't do that again...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Converted to a chain??? Thats impressive...wow.
Nothing awkward. Just need someone to make you the parts :) Cogs for the cams to be twice the size as the crank cog. Some tensionbrackets and a mount for these to fit on. And a cover so you can put some oil into it and also drain... Nothing really hard :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im doing it myself. not sure what makes you think the alternator belt caused the tensioner to break ??? That belt is not even directly connected to the crank.
because i have seen it happen numerous times on the P1's.

i had snow get behind mine and cause timing to jump 5 teeth

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
ding ding ding..yes it did
enough to bend all 10 intake valves..
head is already off and valves are on their way.
not sure of cause/effect but the timing belt tensioner was jammed up and broken.

i guess the alternator belt snapping was a secondary effect.
How many miles did you have when it happened?

I was told by my Volvo dealer that the timing belt and the tensioners should be replaced on 100.000 miles although they advised me to do it on 90.000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts