SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, my 2007 headlight assemblies are kind of beat up and I was wondering if later year S80 units would be a better choice for me? Are they even interchangeable or offer better/brighter/more efficient lighting? Thanks, Ralph

Registered
If you're buying a used one just go with which-ever ones are in the best condition. I looked up the xenons and as I recall the 2007-2013 S80s as well as 2008-2013 VXC70 all used the same unit. The 2014 ones have an LED parking/position light instead of a bulb one but that's the only difference AFAIK.

Edit: just realized you might have halogens, in which case I don't know if all models used the same housing. However, the limiting factor in that case is the halogens itself. Even if improvements were made I'd imagine they'd be marginal at best. If you're going to replace the assemblies, get a hold of xenons instead. It'll update the look of the front of the car greatly too and the light is so much better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks, xenon it is. I'm going to need some help in locating assemblies so any will be appreciated! Ralph

Registered
Just an FYI though: the xenons use level sensors on the car to automatically adjust the light level when the car is started. The halogens used to use a special wheel to set the height to compensate for rear load altering the level but from what I've heard this wheel never existed in the states. Bottom line is that the xenons will dip down to the lowest setting since they'll get not level input. Can be circumvented by using an adjust screw to set them to the correct level. itwontstopsnowin mentioned that the level motors needs to be unplugged but the exact details is something I think others know better than I do.

I also believe there are two xenon models available, one with and one without active bending lights (ABL, where the xenons also adjust the light from side to side when turning). I guess ABL isn't going to work either way due to software.

Edit: I think itwontstopsnowin got his assemblies off ebay, new ones. I'd try salvage yards to see if you can get a hold of used ones instead as I imagine it'll be a lot cheaper if you get a hold of a decent looking set. The retail price is somewhere around 10000 SEK which is just over $1200 (though a lot cheaper on ebay of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts