SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 2007 SR GT, 75K miles. I have a rolled curb where the driveway meets the street thats like a big speed bump. I ease up to it,then give it some gas to get over it otherwise its a pretty big hit. Clunk first occured backing into the drive, gave it some gas to get over the curb and "CLUNK" like a metal to metal sound from the under the front. Was like someone hit the chassis with a hammer, figured I had a bad top engine bushing or transmount, since the car has 75K. Usually, after hearing it in reverse, when I'm back in drive it does it again the first time I goose it good at a stoplight. I also get a much lighter 'clack' when the trans downshifts itself into first when approaching a stop. Its totally like a bad powertrain mount.

Changed the top engine bushing and trans mount with new OEM stuff. The old ones were shot, new ones are tight, install was no problem, everything went smooth, is tight and properly installed.

Back into the driveway again, and "CLUNK" sassafrassin' dadgum it. Got under it, everything is tight--LCA bushings, trans mount, engine mount, axles, axle bolts, etc.

Anyone have this happen, and if so how'd you solve it? Could it be the engine mount by the balancer (the one you reach through the PS wheelwell)? How many other powertrain mounts are there? Hate to just throw parts at it, hoping someone has gone down this road before...

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
end links

·
Registered
327 Posts
The centre prop AWD shaft has some sort of a coupling that would need to be inspected to see if a change is needed.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Does it only do it over bumps? If not, search axle ping if you haven't already. Even though you noted your axle bolts are tight, it sounds a lot like it and unless they are glued by the dealer or you use the XC90 bolts, they can still make a metal knocking noise.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There are 3 lower engine mounts. Sounds like front & rear most likely since forward/backwards motion is what is causing the problem.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
axle ping will occur the moment you switch from P to R or D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wrote a long reply and my computer locked up, got fed up & haven't gotten back to this thread since then. I probably didn't make it clear enough but the noise is from engine loading up the powertrain against the chassis, not from hitting bumps. If I go out right now and hold the brake & goose the gas in reverse, it will do it once. Then, in drive, do the same thing (hold the brake & goose the gas), it will do it again (or, goose it from a stoplight, same effect). Its the powertrain rocking. I was sure it was the top engine mount and/or trans mount, since there is a great deal of chatter about these failing on the forums. Well, mine were bad, but not the core issue apparently.

There are 3 lower engine mounts. Sounds like front & rear most likely since forward/backwards motion is what is causing the problem.
Looks like you are right. As I mentioned, I changed the top mount and the trans mount with no effect. I just switched the passenger side mount that lives by the pulleys since it was easy:

...with no effect. All thats left is the front and rear mount, wonder how big of a pain these will be to change. Wish I knew which one it was since they are $120+ ea. shipped & they look like a pain to change.

Will change at some point since the rest of the car is perfect, but what a nuisance, its like Volvo used cheese for bushings (I've changed a fair amount)...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've improved this issue substantially tho I think I've had the same one. Do you notice it more when rt wheel hits bumps than the left independently?

I'm about to change the small top engine mt bushing to powerflex because I think that Is the remainder of the issue.

Also, a bad steering shaft could cause part of contribute to the problem as well since play there allows the whole rig to move right or left on impact.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its definitely not axle ping; the car had that when I first got it and was like a faint click which occurred upon shifting into D or R. Did the locktight treatment & that fixed it. One of the first things I looked at before getting into the mounts was to confirm the bolts and axles were still tight in the hub, and they are.

This is more of a thunk and far more pronounced, like someone hitting the chassis with a hammer. It only happens once in either direction (i.e. once it happens in reverse, it won't happen again in reverse until after it happens in drive again). It doesn't happen when driving around normally, you have to get on it pretty good for it to occur. Since typically only reverse at idle, its rarely 'set' to thunk in drive, when I do get on it from time to time. Its only occurred from a stop, never at speed probably because the

Will have to take a closer look at the front and rear lower engine mounts, I see conflicting info out there though. Some mentioned they've never seen one of these fail, that they're liquid filled and should be obvious if broken. Some others mentioned that theirs did fail, but no traces of liquid(?) Fortunately these said it was fairly obvious by just looking... we'll see.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the same symptoms on my '07 GT. Turned out I needed the spring seats replaced but while I was at the dealership, they updated the software on the transmission module and the problem went away.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
if it is axle ping, it is easily identifiable ...

1. start the car
2. step on the brake pedal
3. put it in drive and then reverse and go back and forth

if it clicks and evrything esle is fine on your R, most likley you need a part # 30714142 ...install it and it'll be gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts