SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Our 2007 V8 has the ABL Xenon Projectors and they are starting to look pretty aged. We really like these and want to fix the flaking and cloudy look, can this be done or would they need to be replaced?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Few folk in your area do this for a living, one example- https://www.mobileheadlightrestorationservice.com/

In my personal opinion, the best long-term approach includes a professional UV topcoat (spar varnish, 2K clearcoat) after the lenses are refinished. The off the shelf kits work fine (even those with the topcoat in the bottle) but the restoration does not last.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks! It seems very difficult to find those headlights.
They aren't difficult to find but they are difficult to find at a cost that isn't exorbitant.
One new headlight is ~$1,100-1,300 w/o ballast or bulb.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I recently polished the oxidized headlights on my car. It is pretty easy if you have a power drill or polisher.

I watched a few videos on Youtube and gave it a shot.

I started by wet sanding them with 1500 grit sandpaper. I stepped up to 2000 grit, then 2500 grit, then 4000 grit.

After that, I used polishing compound then followed with polish.

By then they looked new. I finished with the headlight sealant that came in a kit I had purchased and tried out earlier in the year.

Including my taping around the headlights, I did both in about an hour.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Before you restore them, you may want to check if the reflectors inside the projectors are burnt. Post number 27 shows the burn marks inside of the reflectors bowls of the projectors (see link below).

I have a 2007 and refinished them only to find out 6 months later the light output in front of the XC was diminished, A quick way to check this is shown in post number 41, of this thread, you should check it.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-active-bending-headlight-brightness-decrease

FYI - FCPEuro has the headlights (less ballast, but includes bulbs) for around 700.

Only problem is that early 2007's have a different ballast in what looks like the same outside housing (the early 2007's have a flat, 2 connector ballast where connectors are on top, where the later 2007 and newer ones have an oval shaped ballast, where there is one connector on the end of it. If you have the newer ballast, you can buy replacements and use your old ballast, but if you have the early 2007 ones, you need to buy a ballast plus the housing.

PM me with questions, I am going through this headache now (using fogs to get light right in front of car to make up for this deficiency)

newer ballast in new headlight replacements and later 2007 and up XC90s:

Technology Electronic device Auto part

Vehicle Auto part Engine Automotive lighting

older ballast (early 2007, and 2004-2006 XC90)

Product Technology Electronic device Electronics

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Technology

Ballast is on bottom of headlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts