SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2005 XC90 V8 and I just picked up a 2006 XC90 V8. So I test drove it a few miles with no issues. Idle, pick up was fine. Engine light was on. I hit with reader and it had a few issues. evap leak, burnt valves, worn lobes and another. I cleared the codes and took it for another couple mile test drive and no check engine light returned. Still ran smoothly up to 60+ MPH. Seller attributed the engine light being on because vehicle sat for 6-7 months. At any rate I took the vehicle. I got 2 miles down the road and the no oil pressure message started flickering on/off. Finally just stayed on. While in N if I revved engine up to about 3-4k rpms it would turn off the message but would come back on few seconds later. So I suspected the oil pan, pick up, etc may be sludge packed. I am going to drop the pan. However I have another concern. While no ticks, knocks, or anything coming from the engine it all seems fine. Even still has plenty of power but my bigger concern is that the engine is getting really, extremely hot. The temp gauge is still reading halfway, no check engine light but it's getting way too hot. I mean you can smell burning and so hot you see smoke coming off when parked. Again, no valve noise, chatter, knocks or anything though. runs smooth and no lost power. so I'm skeptical if I spun a bearing, or bent a valve, or something. I'll drop the pan and see but just curious if anyone has thoughts on this. Thanks all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got the pan down and was hoping for the worst but it actually wasn't bad. I'll post some pictures. I'm going to try and get the pickup tube out and cleaned. I don't want to have to take down the walls but it's gonna be tough to get the tube bolts off. I'll see if I can get in there with a flexible extension. However the screen doesn't look all that bad so my other thought is maybe it is the pump that's failing me. As I was saying it seems to only kick on the "no oil pressure" after few miles of driving. I don't know how that could attribute to the oil pump. I would think if it's bad it would not work at all. Not work for a little and then fail. Maybe i'm wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have a simple removal of the oil pick-up tube on the V8 XC90? I dropped the pan but getting to the tube bolts is not easy even with a flex extension. Do I really have to remove the side walls?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got the pan down and was hoping for the worst but it actually wasn't bad. I'll post some pictures. I'm going to try and get the pickup tube out and cleaned. I don't want to have to take down the walls but it's gonna be tough to get the tube bolts off. I'll see if I can get in there with a flexible extension. However the screen doesn't look all that bad so my other thought is maybe it is the pump that's failing me. As I was saying it seems to only kick on the "no oil pressure" after few miles of driving. I don't know how that could attribute to the oil pump. I would think if it's bad it would not work at all. Not work for a little and then fail. Maybe i'm wrong?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Not much history in the XC90 forum for oil and sump related items on the V8 so you may not get much of a response. Any photos or information you can put out on this issue will be helpful for someone else down the line. Thanks for posting.

** for post below, pressure switch is PN 30713497 , sits right above the oil filter on the side of the block. **

·
Registered
392 Posts
I do not have a XC90 V8. I am sure there is an oil pressure transmitter. Suggest connecting a mechanical gauge to verify oil pressure when you start the engine. With the oil pan removed, suggest blasting the pickup screen with brake cleaner to see if sludge drips out. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my S80 V8.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with the above, there's no way I would remove the pan without confirming the oil pressure is bad. There must be some place you can Tee into with a mechanical gauge.

I don't know about the over heating. Maybe change the thermostat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... I can do a white glove pressure test. As for the overheating it's only the top end. The gauge inside the car is reading normal and there are no warnings on the readout. I am only going off of the insane heat on the valve covers, the heat smoke when stopped and the smell of burning. I blasted the pick up and it was pretty clean, no sludge. I would post pics but I have to upload to host site which I never use and not really looking to sign up with one. I also pulled the intake and took a closer inspection of top end. Everything appears pretty clean even the PCV. No carbon build anywhere that I could see. I suspect the oil pump is the culprit. I think I had too low a pressure and it was getting the oil to the top end. I'm going to pull out the pump, clean it up, reinstall and white glove test but I think i'll just go straight to replacing it. It hasn't been changed in over 200k miles.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What makes you think the top end is overheating? It seems all your symptoms could be explained by a leaking valve cover gasket and either faulty sender or low oil level. I would never have opened the engine up without testing the pressure with a gauge first. It's hard to get where you want to go if you don't know where you're starting from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, just thought I would update on this. So with the pan dropped I cleaned the pick up which wasn't that bad, cleaned up the pan, oil level sensor and filter area. I pulled the manifold and installed PCV kit. replaced both hoses that were dried out and the valve. The manifold gaskets weren't bad but I replaced them anyway. Lastly replaced the oil pressure switch. While it sounds easy, removing the switch is a major PIA. At least it was for me. I couldn't get a wrench on it from underneath. I found I had to go from the front, pushing the lower radiator hose out of the way and then using an extension with universal joint and socket I could get it out. Getting the new one in and even more of a challenge as my hand could barely get to hole to thread in. Anyway after all that things are running smooth. The "no oil pressure" light is gone. I think the culprit was the pressure switch. When I unplugged the switch I noticed oil in the connection socket which leads me to believe oil had gotten past the sensor so it failed. I could have saved myself time, work and money but the vehicle has 250k on it so i didn't mind doing the maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ bugeye - I'll see what I can do to get pictures up. I'm not big on hosting sites. I took for a longer ride today. Ran good. The smoke I was mentioning early on was a small leak coming off the back valve cover onto the manifold. I'm going to see if I put some RTV along the edge of valve cover if it will divert or stop the leak. It's not much and I can deal with it. I was going to take care of it when I had pulled the manifold but I really didn't want to dive further in and have to remove fuel rail and everything else. My time was limited. Anyway I noticed when I went to use it later in the day the engine light was on. Hooked it up and it was P0455. I'm going to replace the gas cap first before checking the purge valves. If I remember correctly I can test it by sucking in and noticing if it closes. Last time I did that though I couldn't handle the gas odor. Might just spend the dollars and replace it. Hopefully that'll solve that. Also noticed when turning hard right a little ticking noise coming from left wheel. Not sure what that could be. I'll have to check into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts