SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang! - I'm a recent XC90 owner and Volvo convert (following a few bad I5 Diesel experiences in my younger days with ~mid 80's 240s... shudder)

This SUV came equipped with the Volvo "factory" bluetooth setup, which I thought looked suspiciously like a motorola - and matches all the specs/drawings/etc for a Motorola IHF-1000.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed one of these, or uninstalled one and can tell me where the interface to the audio system happens. I'd like to add an aux input for an iPod, and from what I can tell there must be some sort of interface with the MOST fiber optic happening already - if I can tap into that I won't have to duplicate what's already there, or spend the $500 on a MOST interface box.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not sure how the factory bluetooth works. Have you tried connecting an ipod through bluetooth? Of course you won't have control functions from the steering wheel or head unit.

As for an aux input, its very well covered here. You're only options are to add a Grom MOST box, a Dension box, a Parrott Bluetooth or rip out the entire fiber optic system and start from scratch. I've got a Grom Most Box, sounds very good, but has software quirks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
On the 2006, I'm fairly sure the unit works by intercepting the final speaker-level signal output from the amplifier. It has it's own 15w amplifier used for phone calls and cuts off the output from the main amplifier under the passenger seat when a call comes in.

Also important to note - this bluetooth unit only has the Headset profile - it does not have the A2DP so you cannot play audio over it. Even if you were able to, the tiny 15w amplifier used that was designed to do voice only would make it sound terrible.

For minimal fuss, your best option in a 2006 is a professionally installed FM modulator. Not the little ones you clip on your phone, a professional unit you install in the back in-line with the FM antenna.

Barring that, your next solution is to look at a direct wired-in solution which tend to be disturbingly expensive - Denison Gateway or Grom Audio aux in.

If your XC90 does NOT have the Premium Audio - you may be able to manually wire in an aux-in directly to the amplifier unit under the passenger seat - this requires some time and skill with a soldering iron.

If you DO have Premium Audio...you're pretty much limited to using the Denson Gateway or the Grom Audio box for high quality (but expensive) audio, or an FM modulator for medium-quality but slightly less expensive audio.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If memory serves me, if you try to splice into the Moto Bluetooth setup, you'll only get audio through the front speakers, which will have your back seat passengers kinda bored or upset.

Other than direct FM transmitter connection at the antenna, you will need the premium sound to add any quality audio device upgrade. Dension and Grom both require the AUX port on the CD changer which is only in the premium sound package. I have a 2004 with the Moto Bluetooth and the Dension package installed. So far (fingers crossed) everthing is still working great. If I had the money, and if I could do it over again, I would probably go with the Grom setup. It's a little cheaper and has better integration on the "in car" audio menu setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I DO have premium audio... I was thinking I would be hard plugging in, rather than A2DP, since I know the IHF-1000 doesn't do A2DP.

Doesn't the GROM setup disconnect the CD Changer? I still have a hard time getting my head around the fact that the only factory integration options are upwards of ~$350 still for the interface boxes. I would be comfortable splicing into the Moto bluetooth wiring harness, but I hadn't considered the front seat/rear seat implications (I mean, when do i ever ride in my own back seat? :)

thanks for the opinions!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesn't the GROM setup disconnect the CD Changer?
Yes, the changer gets disconnected. Not a big deal with the Grom if you have it set up well. We have a 32GB USB stick connected on one port, a 32GB iPod on another. With those 2, we have over 15K songs to choose from. You just need to set playlist properly. You can use iPod control functions if you want to play a specific artist or song. We also have bluetooth on ours, so any of our smart phones can also plays music through there, my wife streams music with her iPad. Bluetooth streaming sounds quite good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts