SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post, I've been lurking for about 9 months soaking up as much info as possible. I'm looking to purchase another XC90, I recently inspected a 2006 AWD with the 2.5T engine. The car is very clean, original owner, etc. However when looking through the service records, I noticed the thermostat had just been replaced about 250 miles ago. The owners mentioned that upon starting the car one day the "low coolant" message appeared. They drove the car to the local dealer and had the cooling system pressure tested which revealed a leaking thermostat housing; the part was replaced and the car was road tested. I was told the car did not overheat (steam from the motor compartment) nor did they notice the temp gauge pegged in the RED zone.

Here's my question- Are the 5 cylinder engines very sensitive to overheating? Even though the car wasn't smoking, would it be concerning if the temp gauge started moving past it's normal operating point? My concern is having to deal with a bad head gasket in the near future. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
FWIW, I get that message now and again. Especially when the weather changes. I've done a timing belt change and did the water pump, coolant flush with it. It's never had to be topped off and I don't have any gasket issues. The 2.5 is a pretty reliable engine, everyone will tell you that. Maybe the XC90 thermostat or level sensor sticks a little in the cold... Long story short, if everything else adds up, don't let that be a reason not to buy it, especially since they just had the suspect parts replaced...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts