SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross posting this from the other forum; no joy there.

Hi, the front drivers side door on my 2006 XC90 randomly locks when I close it. No difference if it is the only door unlocked or if all doors are unlocked. Any ideas as to what is going on here? No codes on VIDA.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’ve been dealing with the same issue since I bought my XC90 in March. Always wary where my keys are before I close the door. I’ve checked the boot near the hinge of the door and all looked good. Next suspect is the door actuator. Picked up a couple at the junkyard to see if there is a change. Don’t want to start wire hunting if it’s just the actuator. Hope to have time this weekend to test it. Curious to see how yours turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, so the wires and connectors all looked to be in good shape, I did notice that when I left the boot off and closed the door many times, that the phantom locking decreased in frequency. I will state that every time I shut the Drivers door, I could hear it (I assume actuator) softly actuate even if it didn't lock. I took about a four inch length of 1/4" drip irrigation hose that was semi-pliable, heated it and flattened it in a vise, then melted away any sharp edges, and inserted it into the back or body-most side of the ribbed portion of the boot behind the bundle to see if that would do anything and it did. The actuation sound and the locking have stopped. Don't know if it's affecting the wires or the connectors, but it worked. I assume it has changed the flexing point. Hopefully it will not cause any unintended consequences, but I'm ok with it for now and will be getting a valet key when I get to the dealer sometime to tape underside the vehicle somewhere for insurance. I've used aluminum HVAC tape before for that with good effect. We'll see; I'll update if it recurs or if anything negative happens.

vvvv Thanks ggleavitt; good info vvvv

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
From a post I put up in 2016- "...one option is to get a plain, cheap as possible S66NNP or NE66P brass key blank and have someone who does laser key (aka sidewinder) cuts make a key for you. You can find a locksmith who will do this (although most local locksmiths cannot touch a "real" Volvo steel blank as it chews up their cutters) then hide the key somewhere on your vehicle."

As noted, does not start the car (blank has no transponder) but will allow you to open doors and turn the ignition switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts