SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to the last oil change my Mom's XC required 1l to get back to the max fill. 3k changing the oil it's gone down to min from probably 3/4 way to the top... That's 1l in 3k miles. Its internal to the engine. PCV sucks in. IC couplings have oil residue on them... Haven't taken the cold side apart. I will next weekend when my sister is back because Mom driving the R scares me. So it's either rings or the turbo IMHO... Coolant looks ok (going to flush soon). No smoke on startup, acceleration, or coasting.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same brand since purchase last year-- Castrol synthetic 10w30. Might switch to 5w30 for the winter.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 160k? That would pretty premature in my experience. Wouldn't I see a puff of smoke at startup? Any suggestions on how to check with the head on the car?

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
I've seen the seals go earlier than that. If you pull off the intake manifold you can usually get a good peak at them through the intake port.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check .Hopefully it's A) I didn't fill it all the way and it's consumption is .7l/3k B) the turbo...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe a leakdown test and also an Italian tune-up to clear things up? Have you done the rubber glove test? Your PCV could be gummed up.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe a leakdown test and also an Italian tune-up to clear things up? Have you done the rubber glove test? Your PCV could be gummed up.
PCV sucks in. However I have a PCV kit so it might be worth it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts