SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the clip front and the 2 wiper arm nuts but can't get these arms off. Used penetrating spray on it, channel-lock pliers, and even a puller (although not the right one - a little too large).

The local auto parts shop didn't have the correct puller.

Is the something I'm missing here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Not really. They are a pain to get off. The toothed cone-shaped mount they bolt onto fuses to the arm and it takes a lot of force to get it off. If it is the first time you are ever taking them off it's going to be a struggle.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If you lift the wiper up off the widnshield and push down on it, it seems to help. Other than that it's just a matter of forcing them off without breaking them.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yes, it's the first time they are coming off so they are fused on there pretty good. I tried a small battery terminal puller last night and they didn't budge. Is there a clip or something under the arm in addition to the single nut on top?

·
Registered
758 Posts
No clip, just pull. It is easier if the blades are lifted when pulling so as not to exert a twisting force. You just need to get the right puller that will fit well. I'll take a pic of the one I bought for this purpose after work.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the puller I used and it did not even budge the wiper arms. I'm going to try a different one tonight as this one kept twisting so not sure that it was applying sufficient pressure.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving!

So I finally got the arms off with a different (more robust) puller and swapped out my old motor for a used (tested) replacement from a 2007 S60 obtained from a local salvage yard....and still have the problem. So the dealer recommended fix at $700 (new wiper motor and labour) would not have fixed the problem.

Apart from the wiper controls on the steering column, is there anything else in the wiper system that would cause this problem?.....intermittent operation every 2 minutes with 4 wipes twice then 2 minute pause then repeat 4 wipes twice. And when the wiper stops after the 4 passes each time, it stops at a different position on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, turned out to be the car's computer which had to be repaired by Xemodem to fix the problem. Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Crazy. Thanks for reporting back though, every resolution helps.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did this for the CEM. Took forever to remove the arms. The last clip on the unit was the worst. xemodex is awesome.
You had the same issue? It puzzled the dealership I first took it to because they hadn't seen the issue before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving!

So I finally got the arms off with a different (more robust) puller and swapped out my old motor for a used (tested) replacement from a 2007 S60 obtained from a local salvage yard....and still have the problem. So the dealer recommended fix at $700 (new wiper motor and labour) would not have fixed the problem.

Apart from the wiper controls on the steering column, is there anything else in the wiper system that would cause this problem?.....intermittent operation every 2 minutes with 4 wipes twice then 2 minute pause then repeat 4 wipes twice. And when the wiper stops after the 4 passes each time, it stops at a different position on the windshield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would it be possible for you to image the puller or the manufacturer/model that you used successfully to remove the seized wiper arm. Thank you I’ve been at this way too long trying to remove the plastic calling beneath so I can send my CEM for repair

·
Registered
2004 V70R (Titanium Grey/Nord) / 2016 XC90 T6
299 Posts
The first time I took mine off it was a PITA too. Try a little PB Blaster, take a rubber mallet and tap the threads. Pull the wiper up as if you were cleaning the windshield get your fingers under it and wiggle up and down and pull it will eventually come up. Remember to note which wiper is driver side and which is passenger as they are designed a tad differently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.