SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum and I hope that someone can shed some light on my problem - I have a 2006 Volvo v50 2.0D I went to start my car and it started but ran like a bag of spanner at the same time black smoke started pouring from the right side front of the bonnet with an awful plastic burning smell, after opening the bonnet it became apparent that it was coming from the front left (as looking at the engine from the front where the brake servo is located on right hand drive vehicles) there are 2 earths that join a wiring loom that are connected to the strut top, I have tried to open the loom as far as I can as I believe that this is where the smoke came from but it disappears behind the servo. I may add that after getting towed home the car starts and drives fine and doesn't have any fault coded logged but I won't drive it as I'm worried that it may catch fire, any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated regards. Pete

·
Registered
142 Posts
not sure from what you explained , but by any chance were you turning your steering wheel without the motor running before this happened. post a pick of the area under the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I can remember - no I wasn't, I had a new tyre/tire fitted to the left rear at the tyre place that's all then I went to start it and this happened - attached is the pic where the smoke came from, cheers. Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope this works:

The smoke appeared to come from under the master cylinder/brake servo, the wiring loom I have opened up looks ok so far but it's difficult to get to the rest of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fact that it was only happening with the engine running is starting to make me think more towards alternator, will have a good smell around it tonight

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hope this works:

The smoke appeared to come from under the master cylinder/brake servo, the wiring loom I have opened up looks ok so far but it's difficult to get to the rest of it
If for some reason at the tire place he compressed your brake at the wheel he replaced it can cause brake fluid to come out the top of the reservoir. This is quite normal.I suspect the oil dripped where it got hot. Check for any fresh oil around the cap ...just wipe around it with a tissue to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts