SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i have never owned a Volvo, I've been looking at a 2006 s60 2.5t fwd with 75k miles. My questions are, how reliable are these cars for every type of driving? I currently don't have a car, so this will be my drive to work, the stores, friends, cruise sometimes the usual life things. Also i hear that these are pretty good when it comes to mods. What mods are i guess "safe" without having to replace things in the engine. I have no idea what mods people usually do to these cars and what gains you get. Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Hello, Your post may get more responses if it was over in the '01-'10 S60 Forum. I'll try to answer your questions. These cars are pretty reliable but realize that an '06 is now 13 years old so even though it has low miles there are many maintenance items that would have needed to be addressed by now if the previous owner did not do it. Rubber belts and bushings break down if the car is being driven or just sitting in a garage. Service and maintenance records are important. It also helps if you are mechanically inclined and are able to do most of the work yourself. Hiring the work out to the dealer or independent mechanic will get expensive real quick.

As for mods, the most important thing to do is to get the car to stage zero prior to embarking on modifications. Once that is done the most popular mods would be an ECU tune along with upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, exhaust if those are things that interest you. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
For old car, first is to make sure it is in good condition. Engine and transmission should be maintained regularly and runs smooth. On low mileage car, low gears usually have been used more than high gears. So pay attention to the shifting.

Cost of other regular thing like brakes and tires could also looks big on an old car.

Air conditioner, radiator, starter are other stuff could need repair in several years. Not big deal but it will make you feel troublesome.

Of course the car could still have half of life. I still drive my 2000 V70 232k miles every day.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
😃 thanks guys! I will check it out further and see what has been done to it and how well its been maintained.I know its a European car and parts wont be the cheapest but I am pretty good with repairing and changing out stuff i had a 01 mustang gt and the only thing i didnt do by myself was the clutch cause i didnt have anything to raise the car up. Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts