SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was reading over this post here, https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...tor-and-caliper-upgrade#/topics/175302?page=3 , and I had a question. I’m just about to upgrade my calipers from the 316mm rotor size to the 336mm rotor size. My biggest concern is going to be the pressure line that holds the brake fluid. My thought is that I would swap the line from the old one to the new one as fast as I can that way no air gets into the Master Cylinder. How do I best go about doing this swap?

·
Registered
728 Posts
You can pinch the line to keep it from leaking too much, or put a plug in the end, like an ear plug. Another trick I've heard is to depress the brake pedal and leave it pressed down.

Bottom line, you still need to bleed the brakes so a small loss shouldn't be a big deal - you shouldn't end up with air at the m/c unless you take a couple hours with the reservoir cap off...

Where'd you source your new calipers?

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,363 Posts
The brake lines are not under pressure unless you press the brake pedal. When the line is open, it will leak due to gravity. I don't like pinching old rubber brake lines and switching the old line to the new calipers quickly is how it's done in the industry. Just be quick to spin the new caliper on and have rags, a cup, and some soapy water on hand for the spilled brake fluid. It is corrosive so don't get it on paint.

If you are using used calipers or even rebuilt ones, remember to test loosen then retighten the bleed screw before installation. They tend to get stuck and fuse so you won't be able to bleed calipers. Also, remember to prime the new calipers by pouring some brake fluid in the caliper on the bench (through the hose hole with bleeder open) and move the fluid around inside by rotating/tilting the caliper. This helps minimized trapped air when it comes time to bleed. I like to do a trick by tapping the caliper with a socket while it bleeds for additional help in dislodging trapped air.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you depress the brake pedal just slightly it blocks off the ports from the reservoir to the master and the fluid will not bleed out very fast, if at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts