SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks:

First post to Swedespeed.

I need a daily driver, but I'm not adverse to having fun.

I expect to be negotiating for a vanilla 2004 V70 2.4 with 80K miles next week, but there is this blue 2006 V70 R on the same lot, with 104K and a hand full of toys I've always wanted, heated seats, navi, blu tooth. Both have auto transmissions.

Both are about $3000 over book. I don't feel that generous.

I've been trying to inform myself as much as I can. Volvo, like most car manufacturers, tend to produce better cars from year to year.

I believe 2006 is a sweet spot for the V70 R, and 2007 is the preferred model.

I believe 2004 is a sweet spot for the V70.

Are the above assumptions correct?

What are the differences between the 2006 and 2007 V70 R models?

Everybody wants to drive a reliable car. A Q ship hot rod is an indulgence.

All things being equal, adding complexity rarely contributes to reliability.

There are countless stories of Volvos shrugging off 100K miles as "Just getting started", but a V70 R invites hard driving, and I'm sure most of you who drive them are eager to oblige.

Is this common and expensive angle gear issue something that can be detected by a pre-purchace inspection? What is this angle gear?

This CCCC looks interesting, and complicated. Is it a common source of problems? Can a pre-purchace inspection predict any pending problems?

I'm driving a 1998 V90 GLT FWD, so I've been exposed to some Volvo lore. I've been told the viscus coupled AWD had problems if any tire has even a small difference in diameter, due to ware or inflation. The used car dealer told me the newer AWD (Haldex?) was electronic, and doesn't have this problem.

I'll be driving Mom and Sister around, sometimes for long trips. I'm getting the impression that even at its softest settings, the suspension is unforgiving. The roads around here are well maintained. Do you think this will be a problem?

Whatever I get, I'll want a pre-purchace inspection at Peter's Volvo shop here in Portland, and maybe a pre-purchace inspection at Aamco. A quick check for hidden body damage at a body shop might also happen.

I'm six and a half feet tall, and weigh 260 pounds. The leather driver's seat in my '98 V70 GLT looked fine when I bought it three years ago, now it's worn and torn. Some posts talk about thin or cheap leather in the V70 R. Is there any way to protect the leather? I'm trying to drop 30 or 40 pounds.

Anything else I'm missing? Or should I stop dreaming about the V70 R?

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'll put it this way. If you are concerned about reliability, do not get a R. Small jobs add up very quickly and before you know it you will have spent way more than you wanted.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Hello Folks:

I expect to be negotiating for a vanilla 2004 V70 2.4 with 80K miles next week, but there is this blue 2006 V70 R on the same lot, with 104K and a hand full of toys I've always wanted, heated seats, navi, blu tooth. Both have auto transmissions.

Both are about $3000 over book. I don't feel that generous.

I've been trying to inform myself as much as I can. Volvo, like most car manufacturers, tend to produce better cars from year to year.

I believe 2006 is a sweet spot for the V70 R, and 2007 is the preferred model.

I believe 2004 is a sweet spot for the V70.

Are the above assumptions correct?

What are the differences between the 2006 and 2007 V70 R models?

Everybody wants to drive a reliable car. A Q ship hot rod is an indulgence.

All things being equal, adding complexity rarely contributes to reliability.

There are countless stories of Volvos shrugging off 100K miles as "Just getting started", but a V70 R invites hard driving, and I'm sure most of you who drive them are eager to oblige.

Is this common and expensive angle gear issue something that can be detected by a pre-purchace inspection? What is this angle gear?

This CCCC looks interesting, and complicated. Is it a common source of problems? Can a pre-purchace inspection predict any pending problems?

I'm driving a 1998 V90 GLT FWD, so I've been exposed to some Volvo lore. I've been told the viscus coupled AWD had problems if any tire has even a small difference in diameter, due to ware or inflation. The used car dealer told me the newer AWD (Haldex?) was electronic, and doesn't have this problem.

I'll be driving Mom and Sister around, sometimes for long trips. I'm getting the impression that even at its softest settings, the suspension is unforgiving. The roads around here are well maintained. Do you think this will be a problem?

Whatever I get, I'll want a pre-purchace inspection at Peter's Volvo shop here in Portland, and maybe a pre-purchace inspection at Aamco. A quick check for hidden body damage at a body shop might also happen.

I'm six and a half feet tall, and weigh 260 pounds. The leather driver's seat in my '98 V70 GLT looked fine when I bought it three years ago, now it's worn and torn. Some posts talk about thin or cheap leather in the V70 R. Is there any way to protect the leather? I'm trying to drop 30 or 40 pounds.

Anything else I'm missing? Or should I stop dreaming about the V70 R?

Thanks
Larry
regular treatment of the thin leather will keep it supple so it shouldn't wear out too fast. no treatment will leave it a mess in as little as a year.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I also would not buy a 2.4 if you want ANY fun at all
Painfully slow and boring.
It's a people mover and that's it

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'd shoot for a 2007 V70R with lower mileage if possible, I wish I had spent more money up front and bought a newer S60R/S60 T5 Inscription or an S80 T6/V8 vs. the 2005 S60R I bought. I have put a good chunk of cash into my 2005 S60R (Driveshaft, 4C Struts,pending alternator replacement due to noise) .

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You can get a pretty decent amount of fun out of a FWD LPT (like your GLT) with a tune. Fewer parts, including unique race/luxury sportswagon parts that are expensive to replace and have shorter practical lifespans.

And the V70R looks hot! Its not a sleeper/Q-car by any means. A 2.5T or T5 with a few engine management/airflow modifications is the real sleeper, esp. with the horrid chome waterfall grille.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The 6 speed geartronic in the 2006 and 2007 is a better transmission..

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
if you have no intentions of buying a R, then under no circumstances should you even get into one or even drive it, once you do...everything will pale in comparison.

Dont get stuck on the navi, it sucks nuts. mine has it and all it does is take up space.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I bought an '07 VR with 6-speed auto 14 months ago with 174,000 kms and have put 50,000 kms on it since. I did the timing belt, transmission flush, etc. at 200,000 kms and it runs really well. Great car:

The 6-speed auto, which was introduced on the XC90 V8 and is essentially the same as used today on the T6, has a stronger angle gear and is a VASTLY better transmission than the earlier 5-speed. With a tune, it is quicker than a 6-speed manual without.

It has an 'AUX IN' on the stereo, mirror side markers, 'comfort' blinkers' and more LED lighting, as well as steel (!) lower control arms that (again) were developed for the XC range.

The drawback: Volvo made (globally) 354 '07 V70Rs. If you find one, there are likely more '07 Ferraris on the road.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Hello Folks:

OK. You want a V70R. Full stop.

Not saying you want THIS particular V70R, you need to get the Carfax and any other service history you can manage. Do a thorough (24 hr) test drive.
Find a nearby swedespeeder with VIDA/DICE and have it scanned for problems. Or pay a shop to do it.

Don't worry about mileage, service and Carfax history are a much better indicator of future big repairs on the horizon. 06 and 07 are the sweet spots for Rs. Some say 06 is better because the 07 has a plastic rather than metal Haldex heat shield...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everybody

I appreciate all of the responses.

I think a V70 R in the condition I want is going to be out of my budget right now. I'm hoping to find something in the $10K area. 2006 or 2007 V70 Rs with about 50K miles are going to be double that.

The auto transmission on my GLT is failing, so I'll probably look for a 2.5T.

I'm about to put a software product on the market. If I have success, I'll be back.

Before I posted here, I posted a question at volvoforums.com. Not one person responded.

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Volvo forums is a dead site, plus like Matthews Volvo Site it's primarily for older Volvos
Where are you located?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Volvo forums is a dead site, plus like Matthews Volvo Site it's primarily for older Volvos
Where are you located?
Portland, Oregon.

A little background:

This would be off topic on the "A Volvo saved my life" forum. Is there an "A Volvo almost killed me" forum?

Just kidding :)

Nothing so dramatic.

I was sitting at a red light in a Buick Century when some teenage idiot decided chatting with his girlfriend was more important than driving his older Volvo. It was one of the squared off styles that proceeded the style of the '98 I wound up with.

He plowed into the back of me, I remember seeing a white flash when he hit. It was a 25 MPH speed zone. I was unhurt.

The Century was totaled. It was obvious before taking it to a body shop.

The girl had been sitting with one of her feet up against the dash, and was injured in the foot-ankle area. I don't think it was serious.

The Volvo's grill and headlights were destroyed, it's license plate was embedded in my bumper.

The Volvo, it looked like it had been kind of "sprung". The body panels weren't obviously damaged, but the front quarter panels and the hood weren't quite aligned.

The Volvo was dead. Apparently a Volvo is disabled when the airbags are deployed. Because it sure looked like it was drivable.

That impressed me. So I got the '98 V70 GLT.

I thought the Volvo engineers must do a great job, and be very innovative. I'm sure they do, and they are. I didn't realize these things weigh over two tons!

My Saab 99 Turbo, which I thought as a luxury boat compared to the non turbo 99 I owned before it, weighed 2600 pounds.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm sticking to it.

I want a V70 R. Now I know what I need to know before I make the move.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Larry

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah, in our market you will be SOL. You are looking for a sought after model, 6 years old that has been driven less than 8k/year. You may as well ask for one that been formerly owned by a super model..... its not going to happen unfortunately.

dlrnordic.com is probably the best local source for the holy grail you seek. There are a few local 06's with 100k at around 15-17k. Any at 50k will be priced accordingly.

Pony up - you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Portland, Oregon.

A little background:

I was sitting at a red light in a Buick Century when some teenage idiot decided chatting with his girlfriend was more important than driving his older Volvo. It was one of the squared off styles that proceeded the style of the '98 I wound up with.

He plowed into the back of me, I remember seeing a white flash when he hit. It was a 25 MPH speed zone. I was unhurt.

The Century was totaled. It was obvious before taking it to a body shop.

The girl had been sitting with one of her feet up against the dash, and was injured in the foot-ankle area. I don't think it was serious.

The Volvo's grill and headlights were destroyed, it's license plate was embedded in my bumper.

The Volvo, it looked like it had been kind of "sprung". The body panels weren't obviously damaged, but the front quarter panels and the hood weren't quite aligned.

The Volvo was dead. Apparently a Volvo is disabled when the airbags are deployed. Because it sure looked like it was drivable.

That impressed me. So I got the '98 V70 GLT.

I thought the Volvo engineers must do a great job, and be very innovative. I'm sure they do, and they are. I didn't realize these things weigh over two tons!

My Saab 99 Turbo, which I thought as a luxury boat compared to the non turbo 99 I owned before it, weighed 2600 pounds.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm sticking to it.

I want a V70 R. Now I know what I need to know before I make the move.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Larry
I have a similar story but reversed: about 11 years ago our nanny plowed full-tilt into the back of a Ford Explorer with our daughter (1) and son (5) in our '97 V70 AWD. I got the call and went without alerting my wife - it was very emotionally traumatic, but my family was unharmed and the lady in the Explorer only had a thumb injury from the airbag. The Volvo was repairable (at some expense) and I think the Explorer was written off. The attending officer said in all the accidents he'd seen the safest cars were Volvos and Subarus, and that his daughter drove a Subie because she couldn't afford a Volvo. I swore then my family would always ride in Volvos.

If you have your heart set (as it should be) on a VR, then the 'sweet spot' should be an '06 auto with high mileage. As other posts point out, mileage counts less on these cars than age and maintenance, and an '06 after a full 'stage 0' overhaul (fluids, timing belt, etc.) can be a lot 'fresher' than an older, low-mileage R without. Troll cars.com etc. and you should be able to find something good.

P.S.: My '07 auto only tops two tons with me and a full tank of fuel, and even loaded up with family and a ski box on top is still several hundred pounds less than any (empty) mid-size SUV you'd care to name.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
Yep, if airbags are deployed the ECU disables the fuel pump until it gets reset by a dealer or anyone else with VIDA/DICE.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, in our market you will be SOL. You are looking for a sought after model, 6 years old that has been driven less than 8k/year. You may as well ask for one that been formerly owned by a super model..... its not going to happen unfortunately.

dlrnordic.com is probably the best local source for the holy grail you seek. There are a few local 06's with 100k at around 15-17k. Any at 50k will be priced accordingly.

Pony up - you wont be disappointed.
Judging by his initial post, the cars he's looking at are @ DLR Nordic. But the '06 is almost double what he wanted to pay and the '07 isn't listed.

My advice is to keep your eye out. I very nearly purchased an '05 2.4T when an '04 R popped up on eBay for less than the dealer wanted for the 2.4T. Seller had a good description, good photos, and good communication. I haven't regretted the choice at all. The two don't compare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts