SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the R car is back from the dealer (again :( ) .. and some 555 miles later the front axles are still tight :).
This time a different part number was installed .. so we will see how they perform.
As a recap: At 46K the original axles were replaced under warranty w/ part #'s 36000524-3 and 36000539-1 .. then at 60K those part #'s were replaced again (under warranty) w/ 36000524-3 and 36000539-1 ... then they were again making strange noises at 62K so at 63K they ordered part #'s 36000519-3 and 36000534-2 but wound up installing part #'s 8252040-4 and 8252057-8 (again under warranty).
If anyone can decode the last part numbers that they installed, please let me know what pops up.
Thanks in advance...
--
John
Knoxville TN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an update, the R car is having yet another set of front axles installed 2/17/2014 at 75K miles. Clearly not a high reliability item :)mad:) as this makes the original axles plus 4 set in less than 75K miles. Since I am still on my 2nd set of tires, it has not been driven hard. As before, any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
--
John

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Did your c/v boots split on any of those axles that needed to be replaced? What were you symptoms? Just the noise? What kind of noise?

I'm on my original driver's side axle but just installed my 3rd passenger side axle at 140k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No c/v boot damage. With the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd set of replacements I was getting a clunking sound when the drive train unloaded/loaded at slow or no speed (e.g. shifting from D to R with the brake applied or when the transmission would down shift as I was coasting to a stop going up hill). With the latest issue I was also getting a clicking/popping sound when turning hard left or hard right (going forward or backwards as in parking). Don't know why they put in different part numbers on the 3rd set .. but they only lasted about 10K miles. Clearly not a positive point for the "Volvo for Life" advertisement campaign. I have had no axle issues with 5 other RWD Volvo's or my 2006 MY XC70, most of which have gone well over 200K miles each.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Those don't really sound like bad axle symptoms to me. Usually those clunking sounds that you described come when the upper and/or lower torque mount fail. The clicking when turning hard is almost always worn sway bar endlinks. Just wondering if someone is improperly diagnosing your complaints?

The only axle noise problem I've ever heard of with Volvo axles is the axle ping noise that R's and a few other models get. I've never heard it myself but most install the XC90 axle bolts to cure the ping noise. The only failing axle symptom I've ever experienced is vibration under acceleration.

Typically these axles last 70-100k miles, some more. I think that is fairly on par with other manufacturers. The passenger side axle may fail earlier because the off-center design of the trans-axle, but that's just a theory.

RWD axles aren't comparable to FWD C/V axles. C/V axles have to put up with a lot more movement and force in all directions than RWD axles. C/V axles are a reality of modern transverse mounted engines, and independent suspensions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Others have also indicated that the axles may not have been the source of the noises .. but for some reason the noises disappear after each axle replacement .. only to come back between 5K and 10K miles later. For what it is worth the part numbers installed this week were the same as the previous re-installation (i.e. part #'s 8252040-4 and 8252057-8).
--
John

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
good lord if that is what it is what an inept dealer and perhaps the most expensive axle ping repair evar!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts