SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s a V70 2.5T NOT A T5!

I’️m looking at buying an 06 today. I can’️t get the search function to work on this site so I have to post the questions.

1) Which specific scanner do you use for this model? There are a few on Amazon and eBay to choose from. I’️d prefer one I can link to my iPhone X as opposed to a laptop if that’️s possible.

2) I’️ve heard there were issues with early transmissions. What is Considered early?

3) Is there an easy way to see if the original timing belt has been changed? How hard is it to change the belt yourself? Any special tools needed etc?

4) I know front passenger window doesn’️t work. Any particular common cause on these to look at?

5) Which is the preferred ATF to use to flush the tranny fluid?

6) What diff oil is the preferred Diff Oil? I’️m assuming it has its own requirement?

7) Fault Code for the Airbag is present but I’️ve read a simple battery disconnect can cause this and it does look like a new battery was just installed. I’️ve also read it’️s common to have the connections at the seats to disconnect causing high resistance faults. So at this point I’️m not too concerned. Should I be?

8) Any other common problem areas to address/look at during pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Iâ€m looking at buying an 06 today. I canâ€t get the search function to work on this site so I have to post the questions.

1) Which specific scanner do you use for this model? There are a few on Amazon and eBay to choose from. Iâ€d prefer one I can link to my iPhone X as opposed to a laptop if thatâ€s possible.

2) Iâ€ve heard there were issues with early transmissions. What is Considered early?

3) Is there an easy way to see if the original timing belt has been changed? How hard is it to change the belt yourself? Any special tools needed etc?

4) I know front passenger window doesnâ€t work. Any particular common cause on these to look at?

5) Which is the preferred ATF to use to flush the tranny fluid?

6) What diff oil is the preferred Diff Oil? Iâ€m assuming it has its own requirement?

7) Fault Code for the Airbag is present but Iâ€ve read a simple battery disconnect can cause this and it does look like a new battery was just installed. Iâ€ve also read itâ€s common to have the connections at the seats to disconnect causing high resistance faults. So at this point Iâ€m not too concerned. Should I be?

8) Any other common problem areas to address/look at during pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks!
Here's my list based on my experience with my 07 V70 2.5T.

1) Any OBDII scanner will give you basic info. But, a VIDA clone and laptop are far superior and can do a lot more.

2) Early transmissions are 01-02.

3) Most Volvo shops will place a sticker on the ECU housing, when they change the belt. Not hard to do yourself.

4) Haven't heard of any common issues.

5) Any fluid that's 3309 compliant.

6) No separate diff fluid.

7) VIDA can reset the SRS error message. Typically caused if the climate control module (CCM) is disconnected without the battery being disconnected.

8) PCV glove test. Remove oil fill cap while running and slip a rubber glove over the opening. If it inflates, even slightly, the PCV system is clogged. Can blow out oil seals, if bad enough. Figure $300 in parts and that much in labor, if not a DIYer.

Lower front control arm bushings are a weak area.

Turbo oil & coolant leaks. Not hard to fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The ABS light concerns me...Its not common to remove the center stack unless the radio got replaced. What type of head unit is it? They came from the factory with either HU-6xx or HU-8xx (upgrade) If its OE, I'd get a Carfax.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Any particular recommendation for which VIDA Scanner to buy?
I got one off of Amazon. Usually, $75-100. There's a VIDA VM image out there on this forum. That's the easiest way to get it up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts