SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've done some searches and have been reading a lot, but I"m struggling to figure things out. We just inherited a 2006 V70 2.5T with only 50k miles. The exterior isn't in great shape but the car runs like new.

My only problem is that the low beams are terrible. I have already replaced the standard 55w H11 bulb w/ modified 65w H9 bulbs. This worked well in my 4Runner but the V70 reflector pattern doesn't like the H9 bulb and it's throwing light in a weird pattern.

What are my other options? I am under the impression that replacing halogens w/ expensive LEDs is kind of a crap shoot that may result in the same weird pattern issues that I got w/ the cheap H9 halogens. Has anyone had any success w/ a specific LED or is this just not an option?

I can't seem to find any aftermarket housings that have projectors in them. There are some on eBay but they are mostly used and sold as singles, which doesn't really help me. I have seen some people retrofit projector housings into their existing assemblies, and I would attempt this if there was a detailed write up of how to complete the wiring and where to purchase the parts.

One big part of the problem is that the passenger side lamp assembly was replaced w/ an aftermarket assembly after a fender bender, and it's gone super cloudy. Is it work sanding and polishing this thing back to clear or will it just fog over again?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Ecodes. And done.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Projectors are doable. See the post below. I think it was about $400 in parts. It requires some patience, but worth it in the end.

Here's the finished bi-xenon projector headlight retrofit, along with a refreshed grille and a vinyl wrapped crossbar on the lower grille opening. 5500K xenon bulbs. Dual highbeams - xenon + LED. Lenses coated with a UV cured, UV resistant clear coat.

So, what did I learn doing this?
1) It's more involved than the various YouTube videos lead you to believe.
2) Buy a set of JY headlights to work with. It might take a while.
3) The reflectors aren't very tall, so only a few shrouds will fit, but still might require trimming. Mine did.
4) Volvo headlights are sealed with an evil substance called Permaseal. Figure a good afternoon of heating and prying to get the lenses off. Hopefully, you don't break the lens. You will probably distort the headlight case channels in the process. More heating and prying to fix.
5) The "chrome" inside the headlight is vacuum deposited aluminum. It will peel off if you look at it wrong.
6) Build a jig for initial projector alignment. You can't "eyeball" it. Once you epoxy them in, you're stuck. Your phone camera comes in handy for seeing the hot spot. An old PC power supply is helpful to power the lights.
7) The H1 bulbs have crappy QC. So, you'll probably have to shim them to get the hot spot aligned properly.
8) You'll probably use butyl rubber to seal the lenses. This requires heating the headlight in the oven. Don't get the butyl rubber on your wife's baking sheets!
9) There appears to be some sort of chromatic coating on the inside of the lenses. Don't try to clean too much.
10) Enjoy driving at night again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm confident that I could get it done but our carport is not enclosed and currently it's tricky for me to get much time to work on a day when it is not windy/rainy. I'm hoping for a quick fix that will get me through the rest of winter and then take on the retro-fit project after I complete the "enclosing my carport" project ;-)

It's also worth mentioning that I got the car for free so I am not opposed to spending a decent amount on a pre-assembled aftermarket product or even sending the housings to someone to have them complete the job.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
I can't seem to find much information about them (I don't even really understand what they are). Can you please provide a link?
European market lights.

Different bulbs, different (more focused) pattern. 20% more light focused downroad from the pattern. Upgrade to rallye 65w h7s or led with ease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
European market lights.

Different bulbs, different (more focused) pattern. 20% more light focused downroad from the pattern. Upgrade to rallye 65w h7s or led with ease.
Do you have any idea where I could obtain some? I don't see anything on FCP for 2006 V70. I have a UK shipping address as well as a US one, if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you need new plastic lenses (witch a 2006 V70 has)
See this link..

·
Registered
16,530 Posts

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
What kind of bulb upgrade?
Philips Xtremevision XV2 D1S. But that’s only viable if the projectors aren’t burned up already as many have. Annoying age issue with the valeo sh*t

Reactions: 1-wiel

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Then I’m going to try these bulbs. Cleaned the projectors recently and put new lenses on.
How'd you do that? I have a set going in my R soon but no way to know if projectors are in good nick
Philips Xtremevision XV2 D1S. But that’s only viable if the projectors aren’t burned up already as many have. Annoying age issue with the valeo sh*t
Comparison on these two bulbs?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
How'd you do that? I have a set going in my R soon but no way to know if projectors are in good nickComparison on these two bulbs?

The retrofit source has a good video with measured light output from D2S versions of those bulbs in the same projectors. Similar but comparable, osram is a bit higher kelvin temperature, philips is a little bit brighter.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The retrofit source has a good video with measured light output from D2S versions of those bulbs in the same projectors. Similar but comparable, osram is a bit higher kelvin temperature, philips is a little bit brighter.
Sweet, so Phillips then

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi all,

I've done some searches and have been reading a lot, but I"m struggling to figure things out. We just inherited a 2006 V70 2.5T with only 50k miles. The exterior isn't in great shape but the car runs like new.

My only problem is that the low beams are terrible. I have already replaced the standard 55w H11 bulb w/ modified 65w H9 bulbs. This worked well in my 4Runner but the V70 reflector pattern doesn't like the H9 bulb and it's throwing light in a weird pattern.

What are my other options? I am under the impression that replacing halogens w/ expensive LEDs is kind of a crap shoot that may result in the same weird pattern issues that I got w/ the cheap H9 halogens. Has anyone had any success w/ a specific LED or is this just not an option?

I can't seem to find any aftermarket housings that have projectors in them. There are some on eBay but they are mostly used and sold as singles, which doesn't really help me. I have seen some people retrofit projector housings into their existing assemblies, and I would attempt this if there was a detailed write up of how to complete the wiring and where to purchase the parts.

One big part of the problem is that the passenger side lamp assembly was replaced w/ an aftermarket assembly after a fender bender, and it's gone super cloudy. Is it work sanding and polishing this thing back to clear or will it just fog over again?

Thanks for all the help!
I have done the H9 upgrade without issue. Check to see if the bulbs are installed correctly. It is difficult to install the bulbs in these lamps.

I have also done the Hikari LED bulb upgrade. These make a huge difference with light out put. Never had an issue with these even with -29ºC. Came with a 2 year warranty so I tried them. I had them for a little over 2 years when I sold the car. They were still as good as the day I installed them. Glück with your mods

1 - 20 of 35 Posts