SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking at a 2006 V70 that has fogged headlights. The car is at a dealership and detailed, so I'm guessing thats about as good as they will get.
I see on two parts sites that the Volvo assy's are $360.00 each. Are there aftermarket headlight assy's? Or do people go with the Volvo brand.
Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think in 2004 volvo went from glass lenses to plastic. The plastic fogs up over time, however since the housings are pretty similar if not the same as the 2001-2003 glass headlight housings you can purchase the glass lens replacement and retro fit them onto the 06. They would look better in my opinion. Just make sure if you have xenon or halogen you get clear glass not the patterned one which are for halogens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't seen glass clear replacements otherwise I would have purchased them. If you find them, please let me know. The glass covers tend to be patterned and diffuse the light differently than on a clear lens. I bought used lights with less hazed lenses than I have currently.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's called plastic headlight restoration, Google it.
Many shops do it and are usually better than the do it yourself kits. Anywhere between 50 and 90 bucks

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just "restored" the headlamp lens on my '05 with a kit from Mothers. It actually worked better than I figured it would albeit the lens were not the worst I've ever seen. Took about 30-40 minutes per side just following the directions. Basically, the kit isn't that magical. Wet sand (with liberal amounts of water from a spray bottle) with 1000 grit, then clean up the lens. Then wet sand again this time using 1200-1500 grit paper. I then added a step by using fine polishing compound before finishing up with the Mothers PowerPlastic 4Lights which "restores crystal clarity, leaving a tough protective, oxidation-inhibiting polymer layer to guard against future degradation from the elements". Mothers recommends a periodic re-application of the PowerPlastic 4Lights which looks to me like an ultra-fine polishing compound. In the Mothers kit there is a small powerball that is probably the best part of the whole kit as it allows a bit more uniform application of the various compounds than if you just tried this process using a by-hand method. Anyway, $20 and couple hours of your time versus spending money on new lens and then hassling with removing the old ones to put the new ones on.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts

I highly doubt that a headlight such as mine is going to be crystal clear by even having a "googled researched restorer". I detailed many vehicles as side work years ago, some things get to a point of not being able to be restored and need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've had worse that became 97% clear after restoration

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Those can definitely be restored. The issue with restoring is that you'll sand away the UV coating, so they'll haze and yellow again quickly. I've heard that clear coating them afterwards helps

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Those can definitely be restored. The issue with restoring is that you'll sand away the UV coating, so they'll haze and yellow again quickly. I've heard that clear coating them afterwards helps
You must coat them, that's part of doing this correctly

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can "restore" them until your new ones arrive. Get OEM as aftermarket ones are ****e. Allegedly, by the time the plastic fades, the reflectors are getting bad enough that it's time for new ones anyway.

Hi, I am looking at a 2006 V70 that has fogged headlights. The car is at a dealership and detailed, so I'm guessing thats about as good as they will get.
I see on two parts sites that the Volvo assy's are $360.00 each. Are there aftermarket headlight assy's? Or do people go with the Volvo brand.
Thanks, Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts