SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me was having AC issues not cooling so I took it to get it serviced.

They recovered .44 pounds of 134A no leaks at all. It held 29.4 inches of vacuum for 5 minutes after the pulled 29.4 inches of vacuum for 30 minutes.

They serviced the unit with 2.2 pounds of 134A. They then started the car and according to them at idle, I didn’t see the gauges clearly, they said that the low pressure side was reading 30psi and the high side was at 250psi. They told me that 250psi was way too high and that I had a clogged Condenser or Condenser Dryer.

The AC is dropping the Air Temp 40*F from Ambient Temperature which has always been the case for me in working AC units in my vehicles. So I don’t know if they are feeding me a line of bull since I know about just about every part of a car except 134A Air Conditioners.

So if anyone can fill me in on the working pressure specs on the V70 I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
505 Posts
so, it wasn't cooling and now it is? I'd like to know why they only recovered.44 lbs ...but hey..the adage is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The biggest question is , where did the refrigerant go. But they say no leaks...ok...so be it. How does a condenser clog if the system has never been opened or the compressor has never failed catastrophically. I say bull. The receiver/ dryer might be weak.....but you're cooling normally.
To answer your question, high/ low side pressure readings are dependent on the outside air temperature and humidity. They have charts for that that give you the normal readings per temp. So, you need that chart . But, i repeat, if it ain't broke ,leave it alone.
I'd say they are trying to make a little money off of you.....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What ambient temperature was it?

Also 2.2 lbs (1 kg) is too much for your car, it takes 1.54 lbs (700 g). 1kg was in older Volvos, like in my now sold 2002. Your A/C is overcharged for sure.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What ambient temperature was it?

Also 2.2 lbs (1 kg) is too much for your car, it takes 1.54 lbs (700 g). 1kg was in older Volvos, like in my now sold 2002. Your A/C is overcharged for sure.
they don't know what they're doing. They're just throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks. He needs to get with someone that knows what the correct process is when dealing with a/c.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Right or wrong, my indy told me that vacuum wasn't the sole issue. My VR wasn't cooling and so he tested both under vacuum and positive pressure. He found the leak after pressurizing with dye and we replaced the whole condenser, dryer, o-rings, etc.
While the nose was off, I had him do all the hoses, the whole condenser/radiator sandwich. Problem gone. FCP parts were decent price, and the whole effort was like a grand with parts.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
they don't know what they're doing. They're just throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks. He needs to get with someone that knows what the correct process is when dealing with a/c.
The basics of thermodynamic is just over the roof for most of A/C technicians.

For me at the end it was cheaper and much quicker to buy gauges and A/C vacuum pump. I usually loose A/C more or less rapidly, in some sort of accidents, no need to recycle the old R134a, just replace the parts and refill. I do A/C myself and make no mistakes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The basics of thermodynamic is just over the roof for most of A/C technicians.

For me at the end it was cheaper and much quicker to buy gauges and A/C vacuum pump. I usually loose A/C more or less rapidly, in some sort of accidents, no need to recycle the old R134a, just replace the parts and refill. I do A/C myself and make no mistakes.
I do my own also. A good pump, nice set of gauges, a sniffer, plain 'ol soap and water, basic tools,.....and the internet( you tube).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts