SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my heater core. It does not match the replacement part or any diagram for replacement parts I can find.

The one out of my car is on the bottom. No joints/connections till all the way through the firewall (Love that.)

Auto part Muffler Bumper Exhaust system Automotive exhaust

Here is the part number sticker on the heater core I pulled out of my car.

Material property Label

Most references go to a Ford Focus, but most of the links are to overseas parts houses (I am in the US).

I'd love to find a replacement like the one that came out of the car, just to keep from having connections under the dash.
Can anyone help find me a replacement?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Never seen that one before. I think that there are alternatives other than the Volvo part. I think the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and C-Max use similar and are cheaper. I didn't have the guts to try and just went with the Volvo part.

I agree about the connections under the dash. They have been known to leak and spray coolant on the CEM and destroy it. I secured a plastic shield under my dash to prevent the spray from hitting my CEM it they do leak.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The integrated design was discontinued after 2006, and I presume this was for ease of replacement. Volvo only provides the service part with split pipes, and the aftermarket units that I've seen (Spectra Premium, Nissens, Professional Parts Sweden) come the same way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep...no long pipe versions available.

I guess its a good thing...it would be a bear to get back in...so...

I cut the long pipes off the original, smoothed and flared the cut ends and will use them to go through the firewall...then use heater hose to connect them to the short pipe replacement heater core. Should not leak this way and I won't worry about small o-rings and plastic failing and killing my CEM.

I am going to use heater hose from the firewall all the way to the block on both hoses as well, eliminating the aggravation of the plastic heater hose connections.

Here are the hoses I removed from the pipe at the firewall....one snapped in half trying to twist the collar and the other was broken inside the pipe.
View attachment 53321

View attachment 53323

View attachment 53325

1 - 4 of 4 Posts