SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing a plugged heater core in my 2006 V50. I plan to drop the new one it and button things up tomorrow.

My question is this....at what point can I refill the coolant and start the car to make sure all is well with the new heater core (no leaks) and I am getting good coolant flow?

Do I need to just plug in the stuff in the center console (transmission connection, switches and such) or do I just need to put everything back in (radio, glove box stuff, etc) and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I am in the process of replacing a plugged heater core in my 2006 V50. I plan to drop the new one it and button things up tomorrow.

My question is this....at what point can I refill the coolant and start the car to make sure all is well with the new heater core (no leaks) and I am getting good coolant flow?

Do I need to just plug in the stuff in the center console (transmission connection, switches and such) or do I just need to put everything back in (radio, glove box stuff, etc) and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Chris
I don't think many of us have done a see just how much we can unplug test in this case for our cars. In theory you can operate with quite a bit missing, but you would need the basics such as a volvo specific scantool to clear any lights you would cause by doing this. That being said, I could easily imagine a great amount missing, and have done so without the infotainment or stereo modules and shift solenoid unplugged if it's a manual.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As an indication, you can disconnect the entire engine bay loom from the rest of the car, and still start and run the engine. I’ve seen it happen.

There’s a lot of redundancy and survivability built in to the electronics to allow hem to survive people forgetting to plug hinges in.

Of course, many errors will result and will need to be cleared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks.

Pulled the heater core out and the replacement is the wrong one....so....off to order another and then see how it goes.

Im probably going to just put it all back together when the right part gets here and trust my work...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts