SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to share some of my latest projects with the Volvo community. I recently did a manual swap on a 2002 V70 T5 (will be in another post) and a 2006 S60R.
I started with a TF80-SC Geartronic transmission and converted to an M66 AWD.
The majority of this process is the same as converting the older model cars to manual transmissions, so I'm not going to cover most of that in here. I wanted to shed some light on the process of programming the electronics, adding the clutch switch, and manipulating the starter control to use the neutral safety switch. When I started, I had plans to also make the reverse lockout solenoid work as well, but after driving it for a while, I decided that I like it better without it. So first things first, here's a list of parts I needed to perform the swap:

PARTS:
M66 AWD Transmission and M66 Angle Gear (Note the automatic one is NOT the same. You will also need the mounting bracket.)
Drive Axles
Clutch Line
Clutch Master Cylinder
Manual Brake Reservoir
Shifter Base
Shifter Cables
Clutch Sensor (Neutral Safety Switch)
Clutch and Manual Brake Pedals
Reverse Light Plug
Clutch Sensor Plug
Shifter Cover Trim Piece

RECOMMENDED NEW PARTS:
Flywheel
Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate
Slave Cylinder
Reverse Light Relay (Just a regular automotive relay)

I also needed to make an auto to manual conversion board (starter/reverse light controller). I used an 8 Pin DIP PIC Microprocessor to determine the voltage level of the clutch switch (to sense if the clutch is depressed) and a MOSFET to control the starter relay ground from the CEM. The +12v ignition signal is switched by the key. This is an easy way to bypass the CEM starter control (there are ways to manipulate the configuration on the CEM and flash the new programming back in, however I currently don't have that capability). When I made the circuit board, I also included a MOSFET to control the reverse lights and only enable them with the ignition on.

In addition to this, I also needed to reprogram the ECM. Basically, this involved cloning the immobilizer data on my automatic ECM to a spare test ECM (just in case something happened). I tracked down a buddy of mine with a manual R and read out the BIN file from that ECU and flashed it into the spare. While I was in the process, I couldn't help playing with a few of the boost, timing, and fuel maps... :) Once the file was flashed into the ECU, I tested to make sure the ECU booted properly and initialized CANBUS communication (tested using an oscilloscope and CANUSB logging device). There are a few discrepancies in the different ECU models so I just wanted to make sure everything was 100% functional on the bench.

My father and I performed all of the mechanical part swapping first (I'm not going to cover that here. It's been covered before for older cars. I can provide more details on request). Once this was completed, I got to work installing the circuit board I made. I connected to power and ground on the CEM and clipped the starter relay ground wire in the CEM plug and directly connected it to my board. Two new wires had to be run for the clutch switch. They must be run to the ECU box under the hood. There is a signal ground (brown) and the clutch signal (black). The signal ground is a common wire in the ECU box and must be soldered into the preexisting bond. The black wire has no pin in the ECU socket, so a pin must be added. You can use either a new terminal or do what I did and disassemble a socket from a parts car, pull a pin, and repurpose it. Check the wiring diagram or signal description for pin numbers, to be certain. I ran the wires through the door grommet and soldered the used clutch switch plug onto the end. A wire must also be run for the reverse light switch on the transmission. A wire for the reverse lights themselves must be run to the trunk, connected to a relay and then the relay must be connected to the reverse lights. The relay isn't 100% necessary, I just didn't want to feed current for lights down the length of the car on a very thin wire. The reverse light switch plug needs to be wired under the hood to the new wire run, and ground.

Make sure to NOT plug in the reverse lockout solenoid to the new shifter base. With the current setup, it will ALWAYS lockout. Which is bad. The car will never be allowed into reverse.

Once everything was connected, I started the car. There were no warning indicators, or check engine lights. Everything functioned correctly (except reverse lockout, obviously). I drove away a happy, albeit somewhat tired, person. The entire process took about 3 days, total. :)

I created a website to document my projects. I'm not trying to sell anything (yet ;) I was thinking of maybe producing my auto to manual conversion board, but I just haven't had time,) and all work is my own.
http://volvomanualswap.com/

Let me know what you think!
-Rob

Here are some photos. They're probably easier to see in the photo gallery on my site.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Good job! I remember there was a thread here about manual swap. Some guy asked about it and pretty much everybody suggested to leave it there. Too much time, money and what not.
Im glad you've proven them wrong. I like people like that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! One of the biggest reasons I wanted to do this was because someone told me it couldn't be done on a P2 model and that I should just sell my car and buy a stick. I like a good challenge!

·
6,444 Posts
wow - great job!
If you guys figure out how to do it on the new S60 (especially the upcoming V60) - you'll become pretty well known out there!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So, um, any chance you want to set another bar for people to pass? Cause it sounds like you have an extra 6speed GT tranny that would go well in my 04R ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
How much was the grand total to do this? I didn't think it could be done, but then you went and proved me wrong!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Now swap the Gobi dude

·
Administrator
55,961 Posts
Well done! A nice project for auto R and XC70 owners!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you now have a spare six speed GT trans I will take it off your hands.
I was hoping I could sell it, but I just haven't gotten around to listing it anywhere.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wish I could have done this to my sonic 😉

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I was hoping I could sell it, but I just haven't gotten around to listing it anywhere.
Cool I'm am in no rush. Just let me know once you have you decide to get it gone.

The funny part is I have a M66 from my parts car I could have traded to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wish I could have done this to my sonic ��
The entire process is actually very straightforward. I just recently obtained a 2000 V70R AWD that I will performing a swap on as well. I never understood why they only made them in automatics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool I'm am in no rush. Just let me know once you have you decide to get it gone.

The funny part is I have a M66 from my parts car I could have traded to you.
I need another M66 AWD!!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
The entire cost of parts was about $5000. The clutch was the biggest single part of that.
How did you source most of the parts?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts