SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for some time now and I can't seem to get a straight answer for what i need, thus i will post my question.

I want to buy an aftermarket head unit for my 2006 S60R that has the in dash CD changer and the Dolby pro logic stuff. Everywhere I have gone thus far has told me different things. I dont want to tear out the stock amp, and im fine with the speakers in the car, However, they say that if i get a headunit i will lose the center dash speaker and i will have to splice the rear window speakers into the rear door speakers...

Is there anyway around splicing those speakers and losing the dash speaker? do i need to change from the stock amp? do i need a fancy wiring harness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Do not return to those places! With the exception of the center channel,
using the stock amp and existing speakers will require no speaker wire changes.

A simple DIN to RCA adapter cable will connect the new HU to the OEM amp.
That'll take care of all 4 corners in the car with none of that pesky "splicing".
FWIW - That cable also supports the optional OEM sub in the wagons.

The center speaker will need a little more help. If I were going down that road,
I'd find an HU that supports 5.1 Dolby surround and has a center channel output.
You probably won't find one with an amplified center channel output...

What that means is that you'll be in the market for a small amp to use for the
center channel speaker. A good shop should be able to get you around that curve.

If you really appreciate the Dolby system, ( and the new one will be a big digital
improvement over the OEM analog Dolby system ), DO NOT let them talk you into
bridging the front speakers to run the center channel. If they push you on that,
as suggested above, find a GOOD shop.

One other thing. If you want to keep the steering wheel controls,
nail that down before you pull the trigger. Or just blow off the
in-dash changer, get an iMIV and go iPod.

Best of Luck! ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the iMIV option, seeing as i dont need to screw with any amps or splicing or whatever. However, I dont really like how the iMIV only uses playlists, id much rather throw it on shuffle and go to town. One thing is do the steering wheel controls change anything? and if they do, do they forward the song on that playlist, or change the playlist entirely? and is there any "preferred" ipod adapter?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I've held off till just this month before getting the iMIV since it's day-bu. Not that I have it, I don't know why I waited. It makes using an iDevice so much easier.
Steering wheel controls still increase and decrease volume, skip forward or back songs.
Playlist advance is very easy via HU controls.
Playlist editing via iTunes makes it's use very easy.
Before going after market, give the iMIV a go, especially if you have iDevices already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts