SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car about a year ago, and now I think I have a serious problem. The car has 171000 miles on it. I was out joy riding with a friend, hot rodding around some corners, then shortly after got a "No Oil Pressure - Stop Immediately" light...being only a few blocks from home, I drove it very carefully back home and turned the engine off. Checked the oil, full dipstick, but noticed air bubbles. After reading a few forums to identify the problem, the most common fix for air bubbles, no oil pressure light and knocking was to replace all the orings in the oil pan and clean the pick-up tube. Okay, these were fairly easy to replace, I cleaned the oil pan spotless with degreaser and soaked and cleaned the pick up tube, replaced all o-rings, new oil filter and oil...10w-30 full synthetic. Started the car up, and noticed the engine was idling very loud, almost like a diesel, the "No Oil pressure" light came back on and with slight acceleration of the gas pedal, there is a very noticeable KNOCKING, almost like it's a con rod bearing going bad. I immediately turned off the engine, checked the oil again, still full. Called a friend who works on foreign cars, and he immediately tells me the engine might be shot. I told him the car ran maybe just a few minutes after the "No oil pressure" light came on. He said well maybe I just need a new oil pump or con rod bearings. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or how to check these things? I am fairly mechanically inclined, and can do the job either way. Just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and what they did to diagnose/correct it. I think that if it needs bearings, I might as well do a full rebuild. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well hard to say, an engine will produce more noise of course ifnit doesnt have lubrication, but it doest mean th engone is done. Ypu should begon with oil pump.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
did you replace all of the seals in the pan? how did the pickup tube look? replace that oring as well?
pull the pan again and check rod bearing clearances!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will take it to my friend and have him check the oil pressure with a guage manually to confirm, then go from there. Are Volvo oil pumps known to just "die"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you replace all of the seals in the pan? how did the pickup tube look? replace that oring as well?
pull the pan again and check rod bearing clearances!
I bought an oil pan oring kit that included all orings and replaced them all including the pick up tube. The pick-up tube screen was very clogged...so I soaked it in degreaser and cleaned very well...looks brand new now and clear. Checking rod bearing clearance will be my next step.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
at that mileage the pcv oil trap might be causing the oil to cake up... use full synthetic and maybe replace that oil trap..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at that mileage the pcv oil trap might be causing the oil to cake up... use full synthetic and maybe replace that oil trap..
I switched to full synthetic 10W-30 when I bought the car...2 oil changes now. I'm leaning now towards a spun rod bearing. The knocking seems to be coming from the left side of the engine...near the number 5 piston...when I had the pan off, I noticed it was alot darker in color and pretty loose. How easy/hard is it to replace rod bearings on this car? Can it be done with the engine in place...or do I have to pull it? If I have to pull it, I will be doing a full rebuild because I plan to keep the car a while. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i would replace the pickup tube.....that is the most common problem, even if it looks clear, they restrict internally....volvo has an updated one.
oil pumps are not known to just die...but i guess it does happen on occasion.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Let us know what happens. Also try to start the engine with no plugs and fuel pump fuse out. And see if the sounds still there.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
791 Posts
I switched to full synthetic 10W-30 when I bought the car...2 oil changes now. I'm leaning now towards a spun rod bearing. The knocking seems to be coming from the left side of the engine...near the number 5 piston...when I had the pan off, I noticed it was alot darker in color and pretty loose. How easy/hard is it to replace rod bearings on this car? Can it be done with the engine in place...or do I have to pull it? If I have to pull it, I will be doing a full rebuild because I plan to keep the car a while. Thanks for the input.
You can spin a bearing in a matter of seconds with no oil. If the rod bearing on the #5 piston is much darker at the connection of the crank, there is a good chance it was spun, overheated, and now ruined. It is possible to replace without dropping the entire engine, but will be difficult. You will need to make sure your crankshaft and con rod are still within tolerance, get new bearings, plastigauge them, replace with the correct bearing size, and use new con rod bolts/nuts.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i think the only way to keep the block in is remove the head of the car, oil pan and you can put out the piston/rod from above and the rod bolts under the block. After you see the bearing you will know if the crank shaft is bad or not. But if you are doing that i DO NOT recommend to put back again like that if everything is "ok". At that point i guess an engine rebuild is a most, new headgasket, piston rings, bearings, gaskets, water pump, timing belt, plugs, cams seals, plugs head o-rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. You guys are much nicer than the guys on the volvoforums.com. They were rude and pretty much called me an idiot for running the car with no oil pressure....then suggested I check the oil pump and pressure.....which requires running the car........DUH!! Anyways, I am taking the car to my mechanic this weekend on a tow truck, and getting him to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Good luck!!!! And let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had a chance to take the car yet and have it checked. I am going on a cruise in late August, so I need to save money for that instead of fixing the car for now. Here's what I think happened. I was turning the corners pretty fast, when some sludge in the oil pan clogged the pick-up tube, causing no oil, and no oil pressure...in the very short trip back home, I managed to run the car just long enough to spin the #5 con rod bearing. Hopefully no other damage was done and I can just replace the bearings and be on my way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts