SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've owned this car (2 years now and the car has 235,000 miles on it) the AWD has not been working. This past winter was a bugger in MN and I was really trying to get it working - to no avail. Here's what I can tell you about the car:

AWD not working - prop shaft spins with the front wheels so I don't think I have an issue with angle gear or collar.
Another troublesome issue is Rear Parking Assist - intermittant long and short beeps while backing up with nothing behind me

I'd like to get the AWD sorted first and then maybe look into the Rear Parking Assist later.

I got myself a VIDA system and pulled the codes. It showed DEM-0006 Pump Faulty Signal. So I pulled the propshaft off and replaced the Haldex filter and rebuilt the pump. Put that all back together in hopes that my AWD would kick in again when the front wheels slipped on the snow. No luck. So then I figured my Haldex unit was bad. Found a used one on ebay and put it on - still no AWD - was able to return that for a refund. I even had my car up on four jack stands so all wheels were free to turn and put it in drive and with the front wheels spinning, I applied 12v to the pump - could hear it spinning, but still rear wheels did not turn. I kind of gave up for a while after doing all of that work. Now I am back in the spirit of fixing it again.

So I hooked up my VIDA for the first time since rebuilding the pump. It had the following two codes: DEM-0006 Pump Faulty signal & DEM-0007 Hydraulic pressure Faulty value. So I proceeded to clear all faults and took it for a short spin while using my phone to video some of the DEM components in VIDA:

DEM-Oil temperature stayed constant at 15 degrees C
DEM-Oil pressure stayed constant at 0 MPa
DEM-Solenoid current stayed constant at 19 mA
DEM-DEM voltage varied from 13.5 V to 13.9 V
DEM-Pump current varied from 1250 mA to 2230 mA
DEM-Velocity front right -- all four of these velocity numbers rose and fell respectively as there was no slipping going on
DEM-Velocity front left -- all four of these velocity numbers rose and fell respectively as there was no slipping going on
DEM-Velocity rear right -- all four of these velocity numbers rose and fell respectively as there was no slipping going on
DEM-Velocity rear left -- all four of these velocity numbers rose and fell respectively as there was no slipping going on
DEM-Parking brake stayed constant at Not activated

I haven't tried putting the car up on jack stands again since clearing the codes, but it didn't appear to throw any new codes after having cleared these codes and taking it for a drive.

Do you think my problem might be with the oil pressure sensor in the haldex unit? Or could it be that I have a bad DEM and the used one off ebay was also bad? Or, since I am having strange Rear Parking Assist things going on, could it be the Rear Electronic Module?

Thanks for your help on this!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would say its possibly the oil pressure sensor, do you know when you replace the pump did you put enough aoc fluid back in? Also how is the filter has it been changed as well?

·
Registered
217 Posts
with your last test with all 4 wheels up on jacks, the propshaft was spinning? I checked that I could not spin my 2005 propshaft before I bought it. In real driving though it slips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say its possibly the oil pressure sensor, do you know when you replace the pump did you put enough aoc fluid back in? Also how is the filter has it been changed as well?
Yes I replaced the filter when I rebuilt the pump and I filled it to the top of the filler hole with the correct volvo haldex fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with your last test with all 4 wheels up on jacks, the propshaft was spinning? I checked that I could not spin my 2005 propshaft before I bought it. In real driving though it slips.
I didn't look to see if the prop shaft was spinning when I had it up on the 4 jack stands, but when I was taking the prop shaft out in order to gain access to the pump, I had to roll the car forward in order to get the two bolts on the front and back flanges to come around and be accessable. So I think the angle gear and collar are fine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yes I replaced the filter when I rebuilt the pump and I filled it to the top of the filler hole with the correct volvo haldex fluid.
I thought so too when i replaced the pump on my XC90 then realized the AWD wasnt working still then check in vida an realized it wasn't building enough pressure to function, I topped it off again now my AWD is working again. Just a thought to check again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts