SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has 197k miles and had been sitting for a few months and the windshield wipers no longer work at all. My mechanic told me it's the CEM, it had taken on some water and the part controlling the wipers has corroded. The wiper motor works fine. Didn't get much of a recommendation other than to get a new CEM, which can be north of $1000. That's a good portion of what I paid for the car so I would like to know if there are any alternative fixes here. Is there a way to potentially bypass the CEM and just power the wipers directly on a new circuit? Any help or recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It is possible for water to get into the connector to the CEM, and then the contacts will oxidize, and the CEM will not function normally. You might be able to remove the drip tray, which sits over the wiper assembly, and inspect the wiring to the CEM, and see if the connector is clean, bright, and shiny. If not, you might be able to remove the connector, a multi pin plug, and then it might be possible to remove some of the oxides present and get the plug working again. Also, there is a company that refurbishes and repairs Volvo CEM units, for less than the cost of a new one. Sorry, I don't remember the name. It can be researched online.

·
Registered
863 Posts
windshield wipers no longer work at all. My mechanic told me it's the CEM, it had taken on some water and the part controlling the wipers has corroded.
I would like to know if there are any alternative fixes here.
Xemodex can fix or verify the diagnosis (you just have to ship it to them in canada, I have done that for modules a couple of hundred times - so it's a reliable company - I don't work for them just have had good service). Water intrusion on that style CEM is a known problem -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts