SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 S40 T5 - Suspension refresh and upgrade

Hi all,

I'm planning a suspension refresh and upgrade in the next couple of weeks. The plan is this

Front:-
New LCA's
New shocks
New top mounts and bearings

Rear:-
New shocks

I'm after some suggestions on a) other things that might be worth replacing whilst i'm at it (car is on 70k miles) and b) what upgrade shocks to use? I don't want to lower the car, just improve the handling whilst retaining some comfort.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Are you AWD or FWD? At a decade old I would check your bushings, I seent mine today and they looked brittle.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Which bushings? I'm changing the front arms, so that takes care of the one that normally fails.
Oh gotcha I missed that, As long as the news ones come with them you should be ok.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
All are good but as you want to retain comfort with stock springs the FSDs are the easy choice. Most expensive... but the right tool for what you want to accomplish.

Take a gander at your bump stops but at 70K you are probably OK. Sport replacements are listed here. I would change them out "just because" but the price is a little steep for foam bumpers. Same with the rear shock upper mounts, a little early at 70K but... Sport replacement listed in same thread.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You didn't mention Koni Sport (Yellow). I have been running them for about 80K miles with factory comfort springs with no issues and very good handling and comfort. They may be a better match for a little stiffer springs but these are adjustable and I have them nearly at their lowest settings. After 80K miles I think it is time to stiffen them up a little and I think it is time again for front strut mounts / bearings.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
STR.Ts are basically non-adjustable yellows on the softest setting...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was under the impression Koni Sport's (Yellow) were intended for use with lowering springs, which is not something I am interested in installing.

My concern with the STR.T (Orange) is that they will be too soft and not much of an improvement over the OEM units.

It's a tough decision because they are around half the price of the FSD's!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This is a bit tough as everyone's idea of "improvement" & "comfort" is different. You can certainly run any of these shocks with stock springs. The rest is pretty subjective.

Yellows & B6s are very similar. Most people would say the yellows are a bit more comfortable but at least one person has posted here that they simply couldn't stand for the yellows, pulled them off, replaced with B6s & have been happy ever since. YMMV

We've been told by Koni that STR.ts are as stated above. This is not a bad thing in your application. You will notice the application chart isn't as dialed as for the yellows. Koni doesn't actually list these for the S40. If you compare to the Mazda 3 front you will see that the same part number (for yellows) is used on it & the S40. The rear is a different story. Differing part numbers. Both will fit but the S40 shock is 20% firmer. (I called Koni on this).

FSDs are designed to be the best of both worlds & all the reviews here have been very positive.

Price throws in the last monkey wrench. Confused yet? Throw darts & give your own review after you install.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm looking at either of the following

Koni STR.T
Koni FSD
Bilstein B6

Any reviews?
I'm running FSD on comfort springs/ stock height on my front wheel drive 2.4i. Can't say enough good things about them. Improved the ride quality of the car tremendously and they really stiffen up if you push it. Still pretty cushy with regular driving and they even take the abuse I put them through when driving on forest roads for fly fishing. In my opinion you can't go wrong unless you want something stiff, low and aggressive. (Plus they're on sale at koni right now!)

With that being said I somehow found an insane deal after a few days of searching (Paid around $400...) $625 on sale for a set of shocks is pretty steep. I think you'll be happy with the oranges!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts