SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm here about 2 issues on my 2006 Volvo s40 T5 AWD. 1 is regarding the fuel pump and how to get to it. And 2 is about my dashboard displaying the wrong outside temperature (anything from -20F to 89F when outside it is no where near any of those).

After looking around on VIDA 2014D and other videos I can't find anything on how to remove the fuel pump and tank on the AWD models. What makes it difficult is that the tank is in 2 parts and over the rear drive shaft/differential and the exhaust. Also there is no way to get to the fuel pump from just lifting up the rear car seats (thanks Volvo for making my life very difficult unlike many other cars). So I am here to ask if anyone had to deal with dropping or removing the fuel tank and pump on a All Wheel Drive model of this car. I have seen it done on Front Wheel Drive and looks much easier as they don't have to deal with the rear drive shaft/differential being in the way.

Here is all the info VIDA gives me and as you can see it states nothing about the all wheel drive systems.

So does anyone have any tips/advice/additional info.

Now for the 2nd issue or the temperature that is being displayed wrong on the speedometer dashboard/instrument panel is always wrong. I read on other posts that this could be do to the faulty sensor or detector on the passenger side door in which case is this the only possible solution of replacing the connector and/or sensor. Or has anyone else has other fixes for this?

Thank you in advance. I'm just trying to avoid disconnecting and dealing with the drive shaft.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you selected the correct variant of car when accessing VIDA?

I know it asks me to select from M66 or M66 AWD. You may get different instructions if you select AWD.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Most likely it's the same process as doing the FWD, except you also have to drop the propshaft. Not sure that's much consulation, but it's just a bit more work.

I'm guessing that's a sensor issue causing your temp display problems and from what I can tell, it's located underneath the driver's side mirror. You'll have to take the mirror off and maybe the painted cover too to access. Again, a pain but doable.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Now for the 2nd issue or the temperature that is being displayed wrong on the speedometer dashboard/instrument panel is always wrong. I read on other posts that this could be do to the faulty sensor or detector on the passenger side door in which case is this the only possible solution of replacing the connector and/or sensor. Or has anyone else has other fixes for this?

Try cleaning the connector pins. Unhooking and reconnecting a couple times should be enough to clean off the corrosion. Could also spray some contact cleaner in there. My S40 has had the temperature issue since I got it, and cleaning the pins seemed to improve accuracy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you selected the correct variant of car when accessing VIDA?

I know it asks me to select from M66 or M66 AWD. You may get different instructions if you select AWD.

Just a thought.
I have and unfortunately it gives the same general result for all AWD/FWD/M66/50/51. The result is what I posted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely it's the same process as doing the FWD, except you also have to drop the propshaft. Not sure that's much consulation, but it's just a bit more work.

I'm guessing that's a sensor issue causing your temp display problems and from what I can tell, it's located underneath the driver's side mirror. You'll have to take the mirror off and maybe the painted cover too to access. Again, a pain but doable.
Yeah it seems like its similar but everything from the catalytic converter attachment to the rear end tank location is different. Heck even the metal holding straps are held and attached differently. I was trying to avoid dealing with the drive shaft/differential since that requires disassembling like half the rear axle.

Ahh I'll take a look at the sensor to see whats wrong.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try cleaning the connector pins. Unhooking and reconnecting a couple times should be enough to clean off the corrosion. Could also spray some contact cleaner in there. My S40 has had the temperature issue since I got it, and cleaning the pins seemed to improve accuracy.
Alright thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at that after dealing with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I was trying to avoid dealing with the drive shaft/differential since that requires disassembling like half the rear axle.
Shouldn't there be a series of bolts holding the shaft onto the trans output shaft (I honestly don't know). I'm guessing 5 M10 bolts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shouldn't there be a series of bolts holding the shaft onto the trans output shaft (I honestly don't know). I'm guessing 5 M10 bolts.
After unscrewing it needs to be pulled out a little since it is nice and snug there. I lifter the car up on the jacks but seems like I will have re raise it and put it on the 4 individual jacks by each tire. As I'm doing this solo it seems it might drag into tomorrow a little as I will have to head out to work soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
6 bolts, and I believe they are m10.

Kosanovskiy definitely jack all 4 corners. You'll need to turn the driveshaft to get to all the bolts, and even in neutral the front tires want to spin with the rear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
6 bolts, and I believe they are m10.

Kosanovskiy definitely jack all 4 corners. You'll need to turn the driveshaft to get to all the bolts, and even in neutral the front tires want to spin with the rear.
Oh this I needed to know. Thanks since I want sure if the turning will be a problem. Thanks for this bit of info. I'll find a way to prevent the wheels from turning. Possibly lock them in with weights, not sure yet. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts