SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a t5 s40 awd and the car is cranking but not starting sometimes so I ran an obd scan and found a pending code for p2291. I Googled that and came across the fuel control module and a potential recall?

I checked volvos website with the vin and it says there aren't any pending recalls. Is this recall not on their site because it only pertains to cars sold in a specific region? We just bought it few months ago but it was sold in Massachusetts originally, and we bought it in PA.

Eventually if you keep trying it starts, but sometimes it doesn't for a bit. Can someone tell me if they know anything about that recall, if there is one.. And also, where is the pem exactly? I'd like to take it out and clean the connector since she needs the car for work and we won't be able to being it in until next week at the earliest.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
On certain vehicles sold in or currently registered in the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and The District of Columbia...

Look for an ~ 4" x 4" black box under the car just in front of the right rear wheel. If it's there & your car was delivered in MA then you are under recall. If you only find a hanging wiring harness with a jumper plugged into it the recall has already been done. The PEM has been relocated to inside the car under the left side rear seat bottom. Pull the jumper, clean & apply dielectric compound for good measure.

Cars NOT sold in the above states are under extended warranty...

Read the details here.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright well I went to the dealer and they said it's not part of the recall so now to track down the problem. I'm going to clean the connectors for the pem first, and then go from there. The code i got said low fuel pressure when cranking. They recommended replacing the fuel pressure sensor on the rail.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I checked the fuel pressure and I'm getting a steady 44psi while driving, and 60 at start up. I took the connector off and cleaned the contacts, hopefully that makes a difference. The pem is under the driver side back seat, I took the connector off and cleaned it too. I guess I'll do the fps regardless since it's only 70 bucks and hope that's what the problem is, but I was hoping for an irregular reading to point me in its direction at least.

This is the code I'm getting for it. I've tried looking it up but haven't found anything definite.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I changed the fps today got it from Amazon prime for 55 bucks. I guess we'll see if the problems go away. It does take noticeably less time to start now.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I checked the fuel pressure and I'm getting a steady 44psi while driving, and 60 at start up.
Hopefully the FPS does it for you. These values are low. Normal is more like 60 & 90psi. Of course those values are being reported to your app by the FPS...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts