SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2006 s40 break in period

904 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  POWERSTROKE 
#1 ·
I've had my 2006 s40 tr awd for just over a week and have put on almost 1300k (almost 800 miles). My dealer uses Castrol 5W-30 (non synthetic) as standard oill. I have already purchased Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic for my first change. Deaer recommends 6000k (3600 miles) but I would like to do it sooner say 3000k (1800 miles). Am I wasting my money?

Also, the dealer and manual do not specify a break in period. I've been taking it relatively easy but I really want to open it up and see what she'll do.

Amy comments/thoughts/advice?

2006 S40 T5 AWD Gt Premium/Sport/Prem Audio. Mods to come - tint, strut brace.sway bar maybe springs

#2 ·
Re: 2006 s40 break in period (royk121)

open her up.. in fact its good to help the seals bed in..

as with all things. moderation is the key..take her to redline if you want, but just dont do it too much or too long in the early stages.

as for early oil change.. i did my first intermediate change at about 7000 km, the recommended oil change was at 15k.

i think 1300k is just a little to early for a first oil change.. maybe 3000 k might me more ideal..

#3 ·
Re: 2006 s40 break in period (Mistral)

I've had mine for almost a month now and just passed 1200miles. Managed to open her up a few times last weekend on our trip to Cologne for the day. I'll prob take it in around 4k for the first change.
I haven't owned a car that garners as much attention as the new S40 has so far. Everywhere I go, people seem to have something to say about it.

#7 ·
Re: (rodlentino)

A freshly machined engine has many components made to a tolerance level, some big, some small. Machined surfaces are actually VERY rough when You look at them under magnification. As the parts of Your engine run for those first few hours the wear rates are VERY high and that smooths the surfaces and wears the tight spots down a bit to a more friendly clearance. The loose parts there's nothing You can do about them. But You want to remove as much of this excess contamination from Your engine as possible and that requires an oil and filter change.
Since I like to blame ALL the World's problems on "MARKETING" I'll blame them for the falicy that it's O-K to run the factory oil in Your S40/V50 for 7500 miles. I drained My factory oil at 2100-2200 miles and change My Mobil I every 3500-4000 miles since then. The Engineers KNOW that the oil/filter need to be changed sooner.
Also, a year ago when My car was brand new, less than 1000 miles My temp gauge was fully up to operating range in 1- to 1-1/2 miles of 40 mph running in 50-60 deg. F temps. Now with over 26000 miles on the clock it takes over twice as long to warm up. The reduced friction from a complete break-in is the reason.
Most dealers will recommend more frequent oil changes as well, 3000-4000 miles. As far as actually determining Exactly when to change oil & filter there are MANY variables in that equation. Number of cold starts, trip length, ambiant temp. amount of idling, time spent accelerating are just a few. Biggest concern is at what amount of DIRT and water in Your oil do YOU want to start over with clean oil.

#8 ·
I did my first oil change (conventional) at 4k miles. I will do it again at 7k and then go to synthetic at 10k miles.

There's no downside with changing the oil too soon or too often as long as you are using conventional oil (well, I guess your wallet will be lighter). On the other hand, if there is some flashing ground off during break in, it would be a GOOD thing to get that oil out of the system ASAP.

Conventional wisdom is that synthetic oil is too slick to let everything bed in with a brand new engine, that's why I'm waiting to 10k.

#9 ·
Re: (POWERSTROKE)

Thanks for the vindication. I completely agree and will do my first oil cjhange at 3000 or less as planned. Now I'm curious about using synthetic oil too soon as I had planned to go to Mobil 1 at my first change.

Also, while I agree with changing oil early, I'm not sure I agree that replacing good synthetic oil every 3-4k miles is neccessary after the engine is broken in. Bu hey, if it makes you feel good, then I say do it.

#10 ·
Re: (royk121)

wow on my town, they put always synthetic oil, you should do it, for Turbo cars is like blood. Normal oil sucks in turbo engines, thats why they sells the new cars with synthetic oil on it

#11 ·
Re: (royk121)

ROY - In past discussions on oil & oil changes someone listed the numerous new cars delivered with synthetic oil from the factory. I know My Wife's old '99 Chevy Lumina w/3.1L V-6 had Mobil I as factory fill. I'm not sure I'd put full synthetic in a T5 as soon as I got home from picking it up new but anytime after 1000 miles is fine.
As for draining full synthetic every 3000-4000 miles the combustion byproducts don't know what type of oil the engine has in it..... Dirty oil is Dirty Oil, so I guess it depends on Your definition of "Good Oil". Unless You use a much more sophisticated filtering system than the OEM Volvo system all the combustion byproducts, water, metal fragments, etc. will still be circulating inside Your engine. Good Friend of Mine who has worked for two LARGE Industrial engine manufacturers says His in-house testing shows not only does dirty oil wear metal parts faster but quickly wears oil seals like front & rear crankshaft seals. By "Quickly" I mean AFTER the 50,000 mile warranty has past so the repair would be on the Owner's nickel. With Volvo parts & service priced the way it is a couple extra oil changes look pretty cheap. I may not keep My S40 300,000+ miles like I did My pickup but if I do it's nice to know how it's been taken care of. And FWIW, I've used ONLY DINO oil in My pickup since day #1.... so Dino oil does work well in Turbocharged engines. All the axles & transmissions have synthetic oil but the engine only gets Dino.
On the flip side..... If You only plan on keeping Your S40 a year or 40,000-50,000 miles why change the oil at all? Let the next Owner worry about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.