SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted an auto to M66 conversion? Does it require a full harness swap, and us there an implication to the ECM?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Lots of parts to replace and some wear and tear parts that you'll want to buy new(clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, etc.). Read this to get a solid idea of what you're dealing with.

The mechanical part of the swap is what you'd expect and is comparable to the previous generation of Volvos. I asked Rob if he could build me a microcontroller board like his. Unfortunately, he's pretty busy working his magic on Volvo T5's and doesn't have the spare time to build more boards. It's the digital/electrical aspect of the swap that can get you. It definitely got me! Marco at IPD or Rob at Hilton can reprogram your ECM to function as a manual. On this job, at this point, it's the CEM that the most problematic piece. I'm working on a microcontroller based solution to iron out the last wrinkles in my conversion. This is not for the faint of heart and the only way it makes sense is if you really want an M66 and you've put considerable investment in the rest of the car. That was my situation and to boot, my 5 speed GT was dying.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not from Volvo but IPD or Hilton should be able to do it. It's custom work so in both cases it would cost extra.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the detail BrotherMatt, that's a long the lines of what I expected. My deal is the same as yours - love the car, too much invested to sell, but long for the M66.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'm thinking instead:
1) Find and purchase a decent '06 or '07 M66 VR with lower kms.
2) Swap over the upgrades and newer parts from my GT VR.
3) Sell my 'de-upgraded' GT VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how convenient - i've got the m66, cables, shifter, pedals. wiring harness, ecu, yadda yadda complete if you're brave enough
That's what got me thinking about it!! Thanks for the inspiration and I'd appreciate a proposal for the whole lot.... too bad the angle gear is gone.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I have seen one VR m66 total in the us
Exactly the issue.... I've been looking for.a low mileage VR M66 for a long time. Had a chance at a high mileage, sonic blue, atacama M66 a few years ago and passed due to the mileage... I kick myself every time I think about it.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I think I have seen one VR m66 total in the us
This is why I scooped up my MT VR with 50k miles as soon as it popped up on the market. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts