SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to get an 06 as a DD. Tried Google search to find what to look out for to no avail.

Thx in advance for your pointers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
'06 was the first year for the C70, so there were some first year issues with the convertible top. Make sure the software for the CRM (convertible roof module) has been updated, check for smooth operation, lubrication, and rubber pieces in good condition. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as an S40/v50 and you will find plenty of info in that section of the forum. The first year that the C70 came with an AUX input was '07, and it's pretty much impossible to add one so if plugging in a phone or iPod is important you may want to look for a newer model year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lookout tips...certainly will scan for any oil stain on the seats , linings n boot area near the licence plate.

Can I change just the rubber pieces , assuming you are referring to the weather guard of the roof , if they are hardened?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm sure you could but these pieces can be quite pricey. I changed some of the rubber bump stops in the trunk and it was literally $80 for 4 2x2 inch pieces of rubber. If you buy the car, I recommend regular lubrication and application of Gummi Phlege to keep the rubber parts in good shape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2006 was the remodel of the c70, it was already in production previous years. You can add auxilary to these vehicles fairly easily, If you are prepared to spend some money. Or take your vehicles amp apart and modify it yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The example in question has 155k on the clock. What major parts that definitely need scrutiny?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The example in question has 155k on the clock. What major parts that definitely need scrutiny?
Look for service records, make sure the timing belt has been changed, check the PCV system (glove test). And check stickied threads in the s40 forum for everything you need to know. With that mileage there will undoubtedly be some things that need to be addressed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To what extend the C & S are identical for the T5 variant? The headlights look the same to me. Maybe it's good to stock up parts since all P1 has gone EOL.

·
Registered
224 Posts
To what extend the C & S are identical for the T5 variant? The headlights look the same to me. Maybe it's good to stock up parts since all P1 has gone EOL.
lots of similarities in the mechanicals, not in the body though. they look similar but afaik there aren't any interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to get an 06 as a DD. Tried Google search to find what to look out for to no avail.

Thx in advance for your pointers.
Expect to do a full suspension swap on the car. I have a 06 and friend has a 07 c70 both needed it. I have 107k they have 80k... From what I've read it's pretty common.

Volvo Suspension Multi Purpose Bump Stop Front (S40 C70 V50 C30) - Genuine Volvo 31329091 2
Volvo Strut Mount Front Upper (C30 C70 S40 V50) - Genuine Volvo 30681546OE 2
Volvo Suspension Strut Bearing Front Upper (S40 V50 C70) - Genuine Volvo 31262470OE 2
Volvo Shock Absorber Rear (C70) - Genuine Volvo 31262659 2 $195.98
Volvo Suspension Strut Assembly Front Left (C70 C30 S40 V50) - Genuine Volvo 31277596 1
Volvo Suspension Strut Assembly Front Right (C70 C30 S40 V50) - Genuine Volvo 31277595 1

That was my parts list. accurate for 06 Volvo C70..

looking about about $550-$600 in parts and about $400 in labor = $900-$1000.. Parts.com, fcp both have um. use part numbers. I've heard the vin on the 06 decides a few of those but I had that written up by my mechanic and cross checked for mine. however it should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I will say though it feels AAAAMMMMAZING after a full suspension swap as it should... 2 years ago I cheaped out with aftermarket versions to save $300.. well I paid for it all over again plus labor as those felt horrible after 9 months and one of the struts popped and leaked oil. so go with genuine.

spark, coil packs will probably need to be changed. As will engine mounts and timing belt/water pump as previously mentioned. If you get one without MP3 cd you might be able to find a compatible cd module on ebay like I did for $100 and swap it out. It'll give you 6 disc mp3

Get it about 2-3k below what you want and expect to drop that in yourself. buy the parts yourself and give to mechanic they will always really up sell their parts! However labor is pretty standard by hour across the industry. Just make sure they'll accept your parts, some shops dont do it as the profit margin isn't as good if they can't sell you the same $100 part for $250.. fact of the industry.

However to be honest. I'd probably go with the 2007+ models. they are better flushed out with tech and a better starting point.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great information on the suspension parts. Expect mine will need this treatment soon (94k now).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great information on the suspension parts. Expect mine will need this treatment soon (94k now).
To bump it up. It was WELL worth it. I should have done that swap from the very start. 5 months later and they still feel new. You won't be hugging corners but the ride quality will be very nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts