SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

Me again. On top of all my other troubles I was having with my transmission in our 06' XC90 (seems to be 'better' now... 2-3 shift flare/shudder comes and goes), I know have a pesky little P0455 Evap Code popping up. What's with Volvo's and Evap codes?!?!?:mad:

We bought a used S70 T5 about a year ago, and went round and round with a few shops trying to get it fixed... and it ended up being a cheap $20.00 Turbo Purge valve, not the charcoal canister or evap lines, which were diagnosed/replaced first. :facepalm:

Anyways, I replaced the gas cap already with an aftermarket one (Slant brand, I think)... and it came back the other day. Any ideas???

Since our XC90 doesn't have a turbo... I know it cannot be a Turbo Purge valve. I hate to shell out the dough for an OEM cap, which probably won't fix the issue. I'm guessing charcoal canister unit, near the fuel pump... unless someone has another idea of what to check, if anything. Are there any other valves to check/replace, like the TPV in our S70?

Thanks for any/all suggestions. I searched 'P0455', but couldn't find anything on an XC90.

Take care,

Gregg

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Per VIDA. Likely what you already know:
284: ECM-P045500 EVAP emission system leakage registered (large leak/no flow). General fault information. Type of fault not specified.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information ECM-P045500- Condition: Engine control module (ECM) checks sealing in the fuel tank system by, using the leakage diagnostics unit, pressurizing the tank system and at the same time monitor the pressure build-up. The pressure is a calculated pressure, calculated using measured power consumption on the pump. If the pressure is stabilized and/or does not reach over 1500 Pa within 450 seconds, it is interpreted as a leakage bigger than 1.0 mm in diameter from the fuel tank system. Diagnostic trouble code for major leakage stored. The diagnostic trouble code can be diagnosed when leakage diagnosis is running.
Substitute value: Nothing.
Possible source: Tank cap not properly tightened or not in place. Leaking tank, filler pipe, tank cap, canister, EVAP valve or lines between these components.
Fault symptom[s: Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.

The Leak Diagnostic Pump is located in the area above the rear suspension crossmember (have to remove spare to see it). Carbon canister is there as well.
If memory serves, you had a bunch of work done in the transmission area and certainly the evap hoses pass through there (the evap valve is on the engine somewhere). Maybe someone pulled or cracked a hose ? Hope this helps…

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ggleavitt. I appreciate the info. I will check into it soon, and post what needed to be done/corrected/repaired.

Yes, you were right... I was the one with a VB replacement recently, along with a new alternator.

Thanks again,

Gregg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts