SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 601 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
The production date of my 07 SR was around March 2006. I've checked the transmission serial and it does not have the updated valve body. And the caR drives like it, too. Looks like it's about a grand to get this issue fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
183 Posts
So, what's the generally best solution to this problem? Take it to a dealership who can look up the specific issue and do the fix, or is it preferable to go to a place the specializes in transmission repairs?

Anyone around DC/MD/VA had this work done with success at a reasonable cost?

· Registered
183 Posts
I did not know that '07s were built so early in 2006. :confused:
Outside the U.S., Rs go by MY 2003-2006. The U.S. has a unique way of branding MYs that puts them a year ahead. Volvo probably released the U.S. 2007 MY (2006 outside the U.S.) in late 2006 (which most U.S. brands do to make customers feel like they're getting next year's model early). So Volvo had already been making the U.S. 07 Rs months prior to that. I believe the last Rs were actually made in March 2007, and they contained some components of the "2008" MY, like steel control arms and a 3.5 mm jack in the center console.

· Registered
183 Posts
I did not know that '07s were built so early in 2006. :confused:
I made a mistake that I correct later in the thread. The production of my 07SR was 07/2006, which makes sense because the delivery date was 01/2007. (I would think it takes an average of at least 6 months for U.S. delivery.)

I confused the date with March 2007, the latest production date of any R I know of.

· Registered
183 Posts
2006-2008 TF-80SC Automatic Transmission Valve Body Issue & Serial Number Info

Mine suffered from the nuetral rev upshift and crashing drownshifts. It was replaced with new OEM by Nordic in PDX when I purchased it. It was so bad during the week I had it I was only driving in manual-mode. At the shop there was a pile of old VB's that had been replaced and there was an 06 XC and VR there getting VB replacements. The ones I inspected (including mine) had the oil-burnt haze on the sliding valves. Ole at Nordic mentioned he no longer uses rebuilts for quality/reliability issues. This may be a business decision which I understand.

My guess is the problem is bigger than what was identified in the bulletin.

Thanks for collecting the information.
This is very insightful information wrt the VB issue.

So for an 07 with 104k that I'm pretty sure just received its first transmission flush (filthy, but no noticeable metal bits or obvious signs of gear wear, according to my mech), did you notice any damage to the transmission, or would one be good just having the new VB installed?

· Registered
183 Posts
After the VB replacement everything was fixed.
At 43k miles it was surpising the VB showed any symptoms. It recieved a drain and fill days before I drove it (before any VB symptoms) which obviously didn't help.

Personally if you are not experiencing any issues, I'd keep driving it, and change fluid every-other oil change for awhile.
I am experiencing practically every issue with this, unfortunately.

· Registered
183 Posts
2006-2008 TF-80SC Automatic Transmission Valve Body Issue & Serial Number Info

Your first step should be to go peek at your serial #. It's REALLY easy on the R. At least then you'll know whether you are in the officially affected group.

Have you tried driving your 07 in GT mode? I've found I can avoid many of the issues by doing this. Might be worth a shot.
Yes, I know I'm in the affected group. My serial is posted above. I looked up the issue right after I bought my 07 last October because I noticed the f'd up shifting. It's interesting the issue is coming up again in this forum. Shouldn't this be something any Volvo dealership would know about and be prepared to fix? Argh.

I have driven in GT mode-sometimes switching to GT just because I can feel it idling in 4th when it should have shifted to 5th ten seconds prior-and will from now on mostly until I get the VB fixed.

· Registered
183 Posts
Hahaha thanks guys! Yeah, absolutely loving the R even though the turning radius is well, less than ideal for parallel parking in Boston (let alone the streets). I'm coming from 244's and a V70XC and even my 'rents 2012 XC60 R-Design has better turning ability but ZERO regrets (except perhaps that it's an auto). Yep steel control arms and the AUX in the center console but the fog grilles aren't vented (which I thought helped "cool" the tranny).
Only a known handful came with vented grilles. It may have been more of a European feature. If any U.S. R would have them, it would be a late production one like yours.

Yes, enjoy and get used to 11-point turns that even a limo could do in 3. :p

1 - 11 of 601 Posts