SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings- I am about to change my Auxiliary belt, and wondered if anyone has any experience with this on an 05 XC90 2.5. It looks pretty straightforward for someone with decent mechanical ability, but I can't see what I need to loosen the belt tensioner with- Torx or Star bit? Any tips on doing this procedure?<p>Thanks <p>JP

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: 2005 XC90 replace Auxiliary belt (jp6438)

IIRC you'll need a Torx T-60 bit.<p>If there are clearance issues getting at the tensioner with the bit fitted to a ratchet or breaker bar--IOW the tools will hit the unibody rail which runs right in front of the tensioner--then clamping the bit itself with really large vise grips and applying torque to said vise grips to relieve the tensioner--thereby forgoing any other attachments--can help greatly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2005 XC90 replace Auxiliary belt (Dextrobrick)

THanks. Does the tensioner just flop and push away, or does it require constant pressure to hold it back from the belt until installed?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: 2005 XC90 replace Auxiliary belt (jp6438)

The tensioner is always under tension and will automagically rotate back to its maximum applied tension position when you let go of it. Be careful because it can snap back with force and cause injury.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts