SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my parking brake shoes, and rear brake pad.

In my 1998 Volvo S70, the only pad that does not squeak in the REAR is: Mintex.

For the XC90, what do you guys recommend?

I am thinking:
- Rotor: ATE
- REAR Brake Pad: Pagid
- Parking Brake Shoes: Pagid vs Volvo OEM

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just did my shoes and used Wagner I think off ebay for like 20 bucks. They work. As for pads, I'm pretty sure the disc pads are Akebono.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I need to replace my parking brake shoes, and rear brake pad.

In my 1998 Volvo S70, the only pad that does not squeak in the REAR is: Mintex.

For the XC90, what do you guys recommend?

I am thinking:
- Rotor: ATE
- REAR Brake Pad: Pagid
- Parking Brake Shoes: Pagid vs Volvo OEM
Your choices are fine.

You may want to consider painting the rotor hats with some good rust-proofing paint, even if it is primarily for appearance reasons ...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I took my rotors out to replace them and the parking brakes were like new, they dont ever see friction they clamp the rotor and never move past unless you are slowing down your vehicle with the e-brake.

Does anyone know how to adjust the e-brake on the XC???

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my rotors out to replace them and the parking brakes were like new, they dont ever see friction they clamp the rotor and never move past unless you are slowing down your vehicle with the e-brake.

Does anyone know how to adjust the e-brake on the XC???
@V50R, your car is probably a newer model, so parking brake shoes are fine.

Nobody rides the parking brake in my XC90, however parking brake shoes are known to fall off after __yr/__miles etc.

My experience with my 1998 Volvo S70 and 1998 BMW 528i is that: at 120K-140K (12 yr range), the friction material falls off the shoes.
So this is why I want to replace the shoes at 10yr/100K time.

See my DIYs below for friction material falling off after some 12 years...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54614

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426640

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
@V50R, your car is probably a newer model, so parking brake shoes are fine.

Nobody rides the parking brake in my XC90, however parking brake shoes are known to fall off after __yr/__miles etc.

My experience with my 1998 Volvo S70 and 1998 BMW 528i is that: at 120K-140K (12 yr range), the friction material falls off the shoes.
So this is why I want to replace the shoes at 10yr/100K time.

See my DIYs below for friction material falling off after some 12 years...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54614

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426640
Thanks for sharing those DIYs those will come in handy.

I was not aware of the material separating off the shoe itself. I have an 08 and those seemed to be ok upon inspection however they were for some reason not touching the inner side of the drum which was rusted. So no parking brake. I will try to adjust the actual lever tonight and see if I can get some sort of effort out of the system. My pedal almost goes to the floor upon pressing so that tells me there isnt much happening even though i have new drums and good shoes.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My dad's 98 v70 had shoes that separated and rattled. I actually just got his pads in the mail today, but it's raining

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't bother trying to adjust the cable by the center console. I did it and made no difference.

My rear shoes came apart after 125K miles. I went ahead and replaced them with Centric for $18 on ebay. I also got the hardware kit that includes the adjuster. Made a huge difference and it was pretty straight forward to install. To reinstall the springs, use needle nose vicegrips so you don't have to push them in. Just squeeze them and then put them in. You can adjust the shoes with the wheel still on. Just remove one of the studs and use a long flat screwdriver.

Look in ebay for "Parking Brake Hardware Kit Rear CARLSON 17438 fits 03-14 Volvo XC90". I paid $17 for it.

For the pads, I used Durlast Gold for $35 from Autozone. I've had no issues with them.

I am still on the original rotors. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts