SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://jalopnik.com/how-about-this-2005-volvo-v70r-six-speed-for-7-950-1748483563

$7950 for a "05 6 Speed with 150k miles. "It’s also described as being bone stock and has a slew of maintenance and damn, those wear out too? repairs under its belt. Notable among those is the clutch, front struts, brake rotors, and front suspension bushings, all done between 2013 and this year. Also the timing belt was done 33K ago."

So far it is overwhelmingly Nice Price.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
It's not though.

Also the vast majority of jalopnik readers are idiots... And even worse they're idiots who know nothing of Volvo...

·
3,899 Posts
Exactly /\ like most blogs these days.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two options. You can be elitist and talk about how others don't know anything or you can go share your knowledge. I prefer to be the latter.

·
3,899 Posts
There are two options. You can be elitist and talk about how others don't know anything or you can go share your knowledge. I prefer to be the latter.
Me too, I'd definitely rather save my breath an knowledge!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me too, I'd definitely rather save my breath an knowledge!
Ummm, latter means 2nd choice. I prefer to share my knowledge. Elitist attitudes should be reserved for BMW forums.

·
3,899 Posts
Ummm, latter means 2nd choice. I prefer to share my knowledge. Elitist attitudes should be reserved for BMW forums.
Was being sarcastic, no offense but most of these people will just argue with you, they do not WANT to be informed nor do they care. The old saying of arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympic was created for a reason. Focus on helping people who own the car, other wise your just wasting time and energy on a cause that doesn't benefit you or people who deserve it. Trust me, help the people who ask not morons in the comments section. It will do nothing but drain you mentally.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was being sarcastic, no offense but most of these people will just argue with you, they do not WANT to be informed nor do they care. The old saying of arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympic was created for a reason. Focus on helping people who own the car, other wise your just wasting time and energy on a cause that doesn't benefit you or people who deserve it. Trust me, help the people who ask not morons in the comments section. It will do nothing but drain you mentally.
Sorry, Sarcasm is impossible to detect online from someone you don't know. I spend a bunch of time on there and people actually like Volvo a lot. Performance wagons are like the ultimate Jalopnik car, especially with a manual. I agree that it is a waste to argue with anyone. I just think that trying to hold back information is equally damaging. Educating the masses just ups the brands appeal. I know the guys on here like to try to keep the R's as some kind of secret, but they need to get over that.

·
3,899 Posts
Sorry, Sarcasm is impossible to detect online from someone you don't know. I spend a bunch of time on there and people actually like Volvo a lot. Performance wagons are like the ultimate Jalopnik car, especially with a manual. I agree that it is a waste to argue with anyone. I just think that trying to hold back information is equally damaging. Educating the masses just ups the brands appeal. I know the guys on here like to try to keep the R's as some kind of secret, but they need to get over that.
The people who want to learn will learn, the people who don't won't. This is the story of life... thats what makes successful people and the not so successful people.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am a cheap-skate, but that seems crazy expensive.

I just bought, on Monday, a 2004 S60R, with 170K miles, and an extensive list of maintenance from real Volvo dealers (even the carfax show about 3 pages of every recommended service intervals being hit within 500 miles of suggested mileage) for $3000.

However, it was in deparate need of tires, brake pads will be next, and some yet-to-be diagnosed AWD failures...

On the other hand, damn I like those wagons,, wish I could have found one of those...such a sleeper!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
The vast majority of jalopnik readers see the R as a unicorn. Yet in reality they'd never own one. The approach they have to cars is RWD LS V8 based with a mechanical throttle. They complain about computerized cars. The R (and P*) are 100% computer based, they simply wouldn't be good without DBW, CVVT, and FWD converted to computerized AWD. They fantasize about an MT wagon... And the R is one... It's just horrifically expensive to own compared to every wagon aside from an S4 or E63.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It's the cheaper of high performance, euro wagons to own

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
15hundo too high.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Shoot, if I had taken the ' advice ' of people on enthusiast forums I would have run away from the VR like it had the plague. Did my research, weighed the pros and cons and bought with the knowledge that these CAN be expensive to own. Will be able to make a full assessment of ownership costs next July when I've had it for a year.

So far - 1 coolant reservoir cap and 1 thermostat/housing in the books.

Funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago. Had just parked at the beach and was heading towards the water when a guy driving a Cross-Country approached me and asked how much I wanted for the car.
Said he had cash and had been looking high and low for a VR for quite some time. Said to name my price. Thinking I would shoo him away, he didn't bat an eye when I said $10.5k. He just said ' let's do this. ' Needless to say I was shocked.
Then my sanity took over. What was I thinking? I have no second car in my name and this is the car that's made me drool for years. Plus, I told my son that it was his when he's old enough to drive ( legally lol ). I had to say thanks but no thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Thinking I would shoo him away, he didn't bat an eye when I said $10.5k. He just said ' let's do this.'
What mileage is your VR at?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Elitist attitudes should be reserved for BMW forums.
Agree.

Also if the records on this car hold to be truthful, I'd say it's a pretty fair price. You'd have to complete the maintenance anyway, may as well let the PO take the hit.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Shoot, if I had taken the ' advice ' of people on enthusiast forums I would have run away from the VR like it had the plague. Did my research, weighed the pros and cons and bought with the knowledge that these CAN be expensive to own. Will be able to make a full assessment of ownership costs next July when I've had it for a year.

So far - 1 coolant reservoir cap and 1 thermostat/housing in the books.

Funny thing happened a couple of weeks ago. Had just parked at the beach and was heading towards the water when a guy driving a Cross-Country approached me and asked how much I wanted for the car.
Said he had cash and had been looking high and low for a VR for quite some time. Said to name my price. Thinking I would shoo him away, he didn't bat an eye when I said $10.5k. He just said ' let's do this. ' Needless to say I was shocked.
Then my sanity took over. What was I thinking? I have no second car in my name and this is the car that's made me drool for years. Plus, I told my son that it was his when he's old enough to drive ( legally lol ). I had to say thanks but no thanks.
I had a similar situation when I had just bought my 1994 Nissan 300ZX TT 5 speed, it's a clean car that only had the original owner and me, 130,000 mi but they paint is super clean, no rust, no crazy mods.

Some dude accosted me in a parking lot trying to buy it, finally I told him 14,9 cash and he could have it. He responds $1,490? I'm like sure, you just bought the wheels, try $14,900 dude looked me like I was crazy, then told me he had a 92 Lexus SC400 he would trade me. I just laughed at him and walked away.

When I had my GMC Typhoon people always wanted to buy that as well. Never ended well when I told them how much it would take.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Agree.

Also if the records on this car hold to be truthful, I'd say it's a pretty fair price. You'd have to complete the maintenance anyway, may as well let the PO take the hit.
It needs a decent amount of work... I don't know if it is fair to say how much... I have a spreadsheet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts