SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am knew here and hoping someone can tell me why the 2005 Volvo Station Wagon V70 I wanted to buy has such a choppy, bouncy ride. I have driven older Volvo wagons that had better rides. Any way to improve this or are they intentionally made to be stiff? I have an old back and need a nicer ride. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
How many miles on it? Could be several different problems but probably suspension related. A 10yr old car is likely to need a suspension component refresh if not a rebuild. Are their specific thunks or other noises? I'm still on original suspension at 120k in my XC but am considering a rebuild soon-ish.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Is it an R?
What trim level V70 is this? V70R, V70 T5, 2.5T AWD, 2.5T or non-turbo base model?
Mileage?
Is it at a dealer or a private seller?
Are there maintenence records?
What size wheels or tires are on it?
Where in the world are you?
And lastly, have you driven any OTHER Volvo V70s, XC70s or S60s made between 2001 and 2007?

I am going to assume that it was at a dealer, and that it was either a 2.5T or a base model and that it will have at least 70K miles by now.
My initial thought based on this is that the struts and shocks are shot, that the spring seats and strut mounts may also be gone and that it needs an alignment. In addition, other rubber parts may be gone too, like a motor mount or the control arm bushings. Little car lots (contrary to popular belief) DON'T actually put any money into a car they pick up at auction. It goes straight on the lot and they hope that the buyer doesn't notice the problems, but if he does, they often have a little shop with a guy who can take things apart and put them back together who they trust to take care of it.
My MIL has a 93 240 wagon and it drives like a DIY hovercraft (the ones you make with plywood and a leafblower) Freaking scary! I know what a dead Volvo suspension feels like. It floats and takes you where IT wants to go, not where you want to go.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You all realize that this guy has not come back since his original post?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
He's clearly not comitted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts