SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey pkolodziejek, The one thing I have noticed with my T5 as well is that whenever I start it cold, it also start correctly. From the given info you have provided i'm assuming that its just a lagging start. It is quite weird actually because I think it may have something to do with the A/C system. Before you start your car (cold) make sure you A/C is off and your fan is all the way off as well. I believe it has something to do with the intake, not completely sure. Let me know if this helped!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Pko try this. Turn on the key in position II but do not start the engine. Wait about 20 seconds and then start the engine, let me know if it works

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have plugged in vida and there is no code, also I have noticed that once it starts when cold it hesitate and I have to press acceleration pedal.I do wait after turning the key to II position. today it started right away when engine was cold but later it did the same thing it looks like I need to press acceleration pedal at the same time and it starts ok,
today my buddy told me that it could be a sign of poor battery, I will test it tomorrow

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
ok, so the car started right away after you did what i told you. Seems that your fuel pressure is a bit low on the first start on the morning. Also yeah the battery can be something to take car.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 - 4C Deleted
921 Posts
If your battery has never been replaced since 05, then it should be on its way out. I noticed the same kind of thing on my '05 T5 and will be replacing the battery before it starts getting really cold.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had the same problem for the last month. Changed my plugs and upgraded to IPD HD coil packs. Hard starting went away and I still have the original battery. Will upgrade to a Sears 94r AMG 800 CCA when I need to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been dealing with the same issue on my 06 S60 T5 for approximately 6 months. I have 87,xxx miles, and did replace the plugs around 65k last fall. The initial cold start in the morning is not the problem - it fires right up whether I crank immediately, or turn to position II, wait and then crank. The problem is after the car has been sitting anywhere from 1-5 hours after an initial commute. The car will crank, hesitate as it tries to fire up, then either die, or eventually straighten itself out. If it dies, it will immediately start on the next crank – no problem. It has never exhibited the hesitation twice in a row. This will happen sporadically throughout the day as I drive the car. Most likely fuel or spark, but I’m not interested in playing the replace parts game to root cause the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So this is an ongoing problem of S60s.My 03 T5 also has the hard start issue but not when cold but after sitting from 1-5 hrs. like AJH. It takes a lot of cranks before it fires up and when it does, it runs like a champ, no hesitation. Could it be a low pressure on the fuel rail due to back flow or as I read somewhere that the coolant temp sensor is bad? Let's keep this topic going to solve our problem. For those w/ any ideas pls. chime in. Stuvo said his hard start prob. went away by replacing all coil packs w/ IPD ones/

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 - 4C Deleted
921 Posts
When I had a check engine light when I purchased the car, I brought my T5 in for warranty work. I had the same very weak start problem, sometimes stumbling, and usually taking a few extra cranks to fire completely. I thought it was the battery, but they diagnosed the problem to the Fuel pump. There is a separate fuel circuit that primes and keeps pressure in the lines for the next time you start the car. Apparently, this circuit was not holding pressure. They initially replaced the valve that controls this, but when the CEL stayed on, they ended up replacing the fuel pump and that entire side of the fuel circuit. This could be all related.......

I'll dig through my paperwork to find the service record for this case and see if I can get part numbers. The valve itself was not expensive. The fuel pump, on the other hand, was, but I din't look too deeply because it was all covered by CPO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Surprisingly enough, my car hasn’t exhibited any signs of hesitation upon starting over the last 2 weeks – hot or cold. The outside temp has been consistently lower, and I’m now wondering if that may be a contributing factor?...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2005 volvo s60 t5 99K for some reason it doesn't start right away when cold, I recently installed new spark plugs any advice would be appreciated
I think I had the same problem, the battery was three years old and I changed it; end of problem. I think the electronics and sensors are sensitive to voltage changes and starting a Volvo with that old battery and already on electrical equipment load the voltage is too low for effective ignition. The thing that throw me is I thought a battery was done when it couldn't crank the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts