SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first forum post on any website after years of using them for a variety of cars and car issues. Now it's time to contribute.

SO intro out of the way, I have recently purchased a 2005 Volvo S40 in immaculate condition with a few quirky things. As the title states, I have had an incessant interior cabin rattle between A and B Pillar on the passenger side. I have both experienced the problem for over a month and have not found an exact forum with my problem.... but the good news is I have solved it! I was so desperate I almost went to the dealership.

It's a loose 8mm bolt that connects a cable or part of the airbag to the frame of the car. It is hidden underneath the edge of the headliner, directly above the front passenger door.

To fix this irritating rattle you will need nimble fingers and a number 8 box wrench.

Remove the A pillar cover carefully! [Watch this video:
)

Then, if you look in-behind the headliner gap left by the A pillar cover you will see the 8mm loose bolt.

My bolt in particular was completely loose, so I had to let it catch the thread of the frame with my two pointer fingers, then finished it off in slow turning segments with a number 8 box wrench (open side).

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great find! I'v got a bad rattle somewhere behind the front passenger seat area. Not sure if it's the moon roof or something else. I'll try your fix and the moon roof fix posted earlier. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Nice! I have one somewhere in the passenger door (I think). It's hard to diagnose when I'm driving and my wife can't drive stick, so... :p

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I hate rattles! They kill me. Impossible to find sometimes! Glad you found yours. Good post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.