SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too Late - I decided to keep it. Thanks for all of the interest.

We ordered our V70R exactly how we wanted it and picked it up at the factory in Gothenburg, Sweden on October 28, 2004. We drove it for 122,000 miles.

6 Speed Manual
Touring Package
Climate Package
Integrated Child Seats
Third Row Seats
Load Carrier (not for rails)
Bike Rack
No Sunroof
Snow Tires – Borbet Alloy Wheels with Michelin X-Ice Tires (about 3000 miles on all four, purchased November 2014).

We were extra careful during break in, not exceeding 4000RPM for the first 1500 miles. Do you know how much of a bummer this was driving on the Autobahn in Germany and only going 105 MPH when it could have been 155 MPH if I was not so concerned about breaking it in correctly?

It was perfect for our growing family, our penchant for fast cars and could hold a cello case perfectly. It was the family car, but given extra care.

There have been no accidents. The paint has some small scratches and the body has some small garage dings. The interior is in good shape considering it lived through three kids, no tears or broken things. It has been parked outside since we got another car in late September, before that it was parked in the garage its entire life, not driven to work either so it spent very little time in the sun or weather.

For the first four years, it was serviced at the dealer because it was free. After that, I did all the service except for the clutch and the A/C compressor. Motor oil was changed every 5000 miles with Mobile 1; it has always used a little oil, needing half a quart to be added at 4000 miles. Brake fluid (Ate) and transmission oil (Red Line) was about every 40,000 miles. Spark plugs every 60,000 miles. 7.5 years were in New Mexico, the remainder in Indiana.

Recent service highlights include:
- Clutch – At 60,500 miles, the clutch slave cylinder started to leak badly. It was replaced and the clutch was replaced at the same time. It was not worn, just wet. My wife heel-and-toe downshifts, the clutch has been beautifully treated.
- Front Struts – March 2013 replaced the front struts and upper mounts.
- Brakes – July 2014 replaced all four Brembo disks along with Volvo brand pads and Ate Super Blue brake fluid.
- 93,400 Miles, December 2012 - Timing belt, water pump, air filter, fuel filter, radiator hoses, coolant (Volvo brand), serpentine belt, transmission oil (Red Line MTL), power steering fluid (Volvo brand) and PCV system.
- Tires – Pirelli P-Zero Nero AS new in March 2015. Less than 5000 miles on them. (Michelin X-ICE snow tire on Borbet alloys are one season old with about 3000 miles on them).
- Air Conditioning Compressor – June 2015 at 120,000 miles.

What is wrong with it?
- The rear hatch lock does not lock or unlock automatically, and the center rear brake light has gone out. This likely means that the wiring harness to the rear hatch just needs to be spliced.
- The exterior temperature sensor reads low sometimes.
- The rear wiper does not always park where it should and the washer spray misses the window.
- Here is the big one. The car started to use a little coolant this summer, but it was not dripping. Then, it started really rough one day and the check engine light came on, but it ran fine after three seconds. The code told me cylinder 2 was not firing. I pressurized cylinder 2 with shop air, and the coolant level rose in the coolant tank. Sigh. I used a digital boroscope and can see where the coolant is getting by the head gasket. Is the cylinder cracked? Maybe, I can almost see a very small crack, but maybe it is just the head gasket since the size of the leak is so wide. Over about 3000 miles of using coolant, though, I only needed to add about a quarter gallon. It only started roughly twice due to a wet plug.

The V70R was supposed to last forever. I never did any modifications. No chip, not anything.

You can still drive it. I would have no qualms about driving it on a 1000 mile trip to get it home, but soon it will need a new head gasket at a minimum and a new block worst case. With two sets of new tires, the factory roof rack/bike rack, and all the kid friendly stuff, I think it is worth $6000. It is in West Lafayette, Indiana, which is on I-65, 60 minutes north of Indianapolis and 100 minutes south of Chicago.
Please call 505-603-9179.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sounds like the car has served you well, good luck moving into the future.

PS- the V70R does last forever, you just gotta keep throwing money at it!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not that this is the most pressing issue here but the third brake light is a common problem. It's most likely a relay located behind a panel in the back on the left side, IIRC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interest has continued to come in on the V70R, but nobody came to buy it. Talking about it with others made me decide to keep it. I have a replacement engine on order.
It is no longer for sale. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yay! another one saved for the road.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Interest has continued to come in on the V70R, but nobody came to buy it. Talking about it with others made me decide to keep it. I have a replacement engine on order.
It is no longer for sale. Sorry.
Glad you decided to keep it. It's a nice car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts