SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V70 T5 that ran dry on oil. Not sure what happened. 1200 miles since my oil change, no leaks and not smoking.. But it was 4.75 quarts low yesterday and now I have a ticking/knocking sound, that I am pretty sure is rod bearings. So, my cheapest option, since I have a lift, is to buy a wrecked V7-/S60 from copart and swap in the drive train, since I needed a transmission anyway.

But I am confused as to what cars have the same motor or a better one that I can swap in easily. I figured I would come here for clarification. Wikipedia and several sites say the 05-07 T5's had a 2.4 in them, specifically the B5244T5. But when I check on FB groups and what not, everyone says no, it is the same engine as the 2.5T, just a different turbo. Which would open a LOT of possibilities up for me I guess... But I also don't want to wind up with a lot less horsepower when I am done.

Any help, thoughts, insights please? I REALLY want to save my PinWagon.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,345 Posts
The B5244T5 is not the same engine as the 2.5T. At all. I'd refer to @ScottishBrick and @JaredR for more insight about what routes you could take, but yeah. Different engine. You're best off looking for an '05-'09 S60 T5 to source the parts from (the only really practical solution you've got, unless there's a shop somewhere that holds 'em in stock).
If you do want to have a more reliable setup and are willing to start a project with the car, I'd get a B5234T3 block, and swap the B5244T5 head you've got (if it's still good) on it and introduce dual VVT to the B5234T3 block. This way, if you want to make reliable power later on, you can do it without worrying about the block's health.

Reactions: ViriiGuy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I really just want it back to as close as I have it. The ONLY plans I really had for it ever, was a good exhaust/DP and IC and a minor tune. It is my work vehicle first.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,345 Posts
That rear end also looks like it's sagging a bunch -- got heavy things in the trunk?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I use it to haul pinball machines. So the rear shocks and the lowering springs that are on there, are in desperate need of replacements. And in that picture, I believe it did in fact have a pin in it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nivomats! Haul a sh!tload, car will self level.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
2,345 Posts
Nivomats! Haul a sh!tload, car will self level.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
How do P2 Nivomats compare to Bilsteins B4s in terms of comfort and performance? (don’t mean to hijack this engine thread — a quick response will suffice lol)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Have you tried car-part.com? You can also look for auto wreckers where you can pull the motor yourself. Probably the cheapest option ($300ish)

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
2.4 HPT with a R head, k24 turbo and 8.5:1 compression is very much different than a 2.5 LPT 9:1 standard head and TD04L 14t.

Recommend either another B5244T5 (and change the rod bearings!) or an earlier T5 (81mm bore) block with the head swapped.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
B5244T5 I not that common of an engine. I would get a cheap engine to drop in there now and rebuild that one and set it aside for when you are ready to tune it. But then I also like projects. Also, don't forget you have the 6speed auto, not the more common 5 speed. Probably going to have to limit your search to 05+ S60s to find what you want.

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
B5244T5 I not that common of an engine. I would get a cheap engine to drop in there now and rebuild that one and set it aside for when you are ready to tune it. But then I also like projects. Also, don't forget you have the 6speed auto, not the more common 5 speed. Probably going to have to limit your search to 05+ S60s to find what you want.
No it’s aw55 5 speed. Only the R ever had the TF80SC trans in P2s that we got here.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Ohh yeah. Just the MT had 6 speeds. Sorry got confused there. esp since my Mazda6 has the AW 6 speed so I get to thinking Volvo made the switch across the FWD line.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There is at least one example of a 2005 V70 T5M, one of the Strandbergs had one, sans sunroof even. Unfortunately a drunk driver destroyed it. Speaking of which call them (Strandberg's in Centuria, WI) as they have the engine from that car I think that you can use to repower. Did you lose a main or cam seal or something?

·
Registered
16,680 Posts
replace the rod bearings with the other style and send it this exact thing happened to my 07 t5m....15k ago

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seconded for strandberg's. I've bought tons of parts from them before (including engines), and their engines are cheap.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
2.4 HPT with a R head, k24 turbo and 8.5:1 compression is very much different than a 2.5 LPT 9:1 standard head and TD04L 14t.

Recommend either another B5244T5 (and change the rod bearings!) or an earlier T5 (81mm bore) block with the head swapped.
Yes, but if you're getting it tuned you can make more power with the 9:1 engine. That's what I just put in my '07.

·
Registered
16,680 Posts
Yes, but if you're getting it tuned you can make more power with the 9:1 engine. That's what I just put in my '07.
How much more power are you going for? No doubt the compression helps, until the 83mm bore catches up with you.

I like the 9:1 in my mom's GLT a lot for just cruising around locally.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
You can swap in a 2.5T and it will run fine. I've see it done multiple times on blown T5s. If you want to keep it as close to original as possible then follow others advise, otherwise any engine you drop in will work even on a lightly tuned setup. The 2.5T or B5254T2 are available like rabbits, much cheaper, and just as reliable unless you're going for high power. You'll need to swap some hardware over from your current engine but it's much less work than messing with heads or trying to source another B5244T5.... purist would disagree

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
How do P2 Nivomats compare to Bilsteins B4s in terms of comfort and performance? (don’t mean to hijack this engine thread — a quick response will suffice lol)
Didn't try B4, but Nivomats can't be compared to regular shocks. Just another reality.

Nivomats are for comfort and load. Cornering is better with the regular shocks + thick sway bar.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for disappearing. The car is headed to the garage today, to find out exactly what is wrong and see if it is fixable.. within reason. We have been combing Coparts for a suitable donor, but no luck so far. Hopefully, it is not major and some minor machining will be all that is required.

I do realize that any motor can be made to work. Especially any Volvo I5. But I'd really hate to lose the power that I have. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts