SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a creaking noise coming from my front suspension, passanger side. It sounds like an old wooden boat. It occurs only in cold temperatures. It does not occur when steering. It occurs when the car bounces, such as slowly going over a speed bump. Anyone have a solution to this?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Likely the strut mount.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Likely the strut mount.
+1.
could check sway bar endlinks too. get out of your car- open hood, push up and down on the fender or A-Pillar to try to see if its coming from the strut tower or wherever/

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
well how did the sway bar endlinks look? could it be a control arm bushing?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I say likely the end-links. Something we talked about recently. Before looking at the struts mount do this simple test. Try to access the front end-links with your hand (by crawling under or by removing both front wheels). Then just grab the front end-links and rotate them a little (you have to do this with both wheels parallel. You cannot have the end-link under tension by lifting only one side of the car). If they stick then it's most likely the source of your noise. If they move smoothly you can continue on investigating... There has been a lot of pointing at the mounts. I think there are many other area that will wear first and cause issues before those. Even the control arm bushings or the truth themselves will go faster. Just some things to consider :)

It could also be the tie rods... anything with a ball joints will squeal when drying up.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It could also be the tie rods... anything with a ball joints with squeal when drying up.
and if your tie-rods are bad then it'd probably be easy to tell ( well, at least the outer tie rods that is) check for any play there and in the endlinks. there are many things that could be making noise, but it shouldnt be too hard to track it down. easier said than done though,.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts