SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been curious, i want to change the lights in my gauges to blue. ive taken out the cluster and noticed tjey are not regular bulbs but small leds soldered in. is this modifiable? i havent found any info on this. if it is interchangable what kind of led would i need to order?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't think that changing them would do anything negative to the cluster, but don't quote me on that since it's a computer of it's own. It's basically a matter of matching what's there to now to the LED of your color choice that matches the same power ratings and also the correct LED size...

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I thought all DIM displays used 7 regular light bulbs for general illumination, although they are in black plastic holders, not LEDs. Although the warning lights, lower right, are two rows of LEDS.

This is a 2002 but I think it is typical:
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=88963
Beginning MY04 and up, the gauge cluster uses non replaceable LEDs for the illumination. In theory you should never have to worry about a burned out bulb. And unless you're good with a soldering iron and fine point soldering, your illumination customization options are non-existent unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts