SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The entire car vibrates when accelerating, but only after i've reached 65 mph or so. does not noticeably vibrate under any condition from 0-60. once i reach 65, the harder i accelerate, the more it vibrates. vibration stops when i let off the gas pedal. so basically i can coast at 65 and up and not feel any vibration. does not vibrate when braking. had brakes checked and wheels balanced a couple days ago.

Appreciate any advice! This is my first Volvo--bought it two weeks ago from a co-worker. Other than the vibration, absolutely love the car.

t5tim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Either a bad axle or a bent wheel. Try getting the wheels balanced and see if it helps.

Edit: Just saw that you had the wheels balanced. Any idea if they are the original axles?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Did you have the vibration before the wheels were balanced? The reason I ask is when I got my new wheels put on and balanced a chunk of weights they put on fell off shortly after I left and I felt a vibration, just took it back and told them I felt a vibration and they fixed it for no charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, I felt the vibration before I had the wheels balanced. Unfortunately, balancing did not help at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There was an article written last year in one of the automotive service trade publications on this concern. It addressed this exact issue of what seems like a wheel balance problem that cannot be remedied by re-balancing the wheels on P2 vehicles. It states that in some cases, the OD of the hub on the wheel bearing assembly is slightly undersized by about 40-50 thousandths, and can lead to the "out of balance" feeling. I saved the article and will share it once I track it down. I have not checked the dims on the hubs of my 2006 T5 yet, but I have 88,xxx miles and have been living with this annoying problem since the car was new. Their recommendation is to measure and replace the wheel bearing assembly if the OD doesn't meet the minimum dimension. If I'm not mistaken, the minimum OD required is 2.499", and you will have a problem is the dimension measures at 2.450".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts