SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 T5 V50 Telescoping steering problem

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  askperry 
#1 ·
Hey,
Can anyone lead me in the right direction on this one???...

My 2005 T5 V50's telescoping steering column will not hold locked in the telescoped position. It drifts in towards the dash.

Is there a tensioner or some sort of locking device that you are aware of that can be changed or adjusted? Where do I start to get into the column to explore??

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Wow, I never heard of that one! Sorry I can't help...

#5 ·
Yep, all stupid questions and answers aside... I am locking it. It has slowly, over time, loosened off to the point where driving down a bumpy road will vibrate the steering wheel back towards the dash. I can pull it back out with little effort.
I presume it's design releases it in an emergency as a safety function, however I think mine is now too loose.
I'll take it appart and investigate, was just looking to see if anyone had it apart before.
Cheers,
S

#7 ·
easy fix

Wow I get to answer one for a change. Very simple. Cover under column is held on with 3 torx screws, remove them, no need to remove cover just lower and a 13mm nylock nut is exposed on the left side of column, tighten just a little and test.
I had this problem for months, I would hit the brakes hard and the column would go down and scare the ---- out of me.

#8 ·
Thanks a bunch!

Wow I get to answer one for a change. Very simple. Cover under column is held on with 3 torx screws, remove them, no need to remove cover just lower and a 13mm nylock nut is exposed on the left side of column, tighten just a little and test.
I had this problem for months, I would hit the brakes hard and the column would go down and scare the ---- out of me.
If you're still around, thanks a bunch for this. I've been having this problem for years. I resolved it within a few minutes last night, after reading this post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.