SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 850 FWD, 2005 S80 AWD
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have looked on both this forum and the Matthews site forum multiple diagrams online I cannot find my fuel pump relay. I just put a brand new Bosch fuel pump in and it's not making noise I have no fuel pressure at my rail. I checked all three fuse panels the one under the steering column that you have to remove that one piece, one plastic piece and the one on the driver dash side - and one under the hood. out of the three of those only one has relays and that's the one under the hood but none of them are labeled fuel pump relay so can one of you guys please help because I don't really think to fuel pump’s bad but if it's not making a sound and I have no fuel pressure I would say it's bad but before I pull this fuel pump back out again take it to my shop send it back and get a new one put it in and have the same issue I want to make sure the relay is good but can't find it so guys please help!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Top- driver side dash fuse panel. Next is under steering column. And last is under hood. Now on upper side fuses are all good. At the top of the chart(4th photo) it says underside; ffm2 -dip beam right, fuel pump. 40a. But there is nothing labeled ffm2 in the fuse panel under the hood.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I cannot find my fuel pump relay. I just put a brand new Bosch fuel pump in and it's not making noise I have no fuel pressure
There is no fuel pump relay - If you have a Grey fuel pressure sensor on the end of the injector rail (and you do if this is a US car)- you have a fuel pump control unit or a PEM. 4/83 on the diagram. 6/33 is the pump and there are two choices - with or without a pressure sensor and PEM. Without a PEM the fuel pump gets its signal from the CEM. (still no relay)

The PEMs were originally mounted to the side of the gas tank near the rr wheel. (really bad idea) They were prone to failure due to corrosion in northern climates. I have replaced many that failed to spin the pump. Volvo mounted the PEM in the trunk or under the rear seat in later years or as a silent recall for the early cars. With a PEM the fuel pump only runs as needed - not full speed all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so since I have the back seat still out went out and checked.nothing there in truck either. So there it is by the tire. So is there any way to test it to make sure it's bad or is this the only thing that could be bad in my scenario?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, had a few master mechanic s tell me I'm a dumbass and every car ever has a relay for the pump.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There really isn't a way to test it. If you see heavy corrosion on the aluminum heat sync, it's toast. Sometimes the corrosion is bad enough that you'll see holes ate through it.

The PEM (relay module) is universal for many models and years. I found a good one out of a 2007 S40, and they are located under the driver's side rear seat cushion in those.

For future reference for others, the PEM is located in front of the right rear wheel (passenger side for US models), right by the fuel filter, for 2005 models. It is not in the trunk (unless relocated by someone else to the trunk) or on top of the tank.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Glad you found the culprit. Did you find a replacement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts