SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pull the stalk in to switch on the high beams, nothing happens. Neither high beam turns on, nor does the high beam indicator light up on the dash. Both fuses are fine. O'Reilly suggests it is a faulty relay, but as far as I can tell, the relay is built into the CEM.

I've tested both bulbs and they appear to be fine. I tested the socket into which the bulbs plug into and they do not appear to be getting voltage.

Do I need a new stalk? Is there, in fact, a dedicated relay for this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My 2005 S60 2.5T has a fuse box, under the hood, between the air cleaner and the strut mounting, on the drivers side of the car. The cover is black plastic, and can be removed. There are 6 relays inside. Five relays are square, about one inch by one inch, by one inch high. I suspect one of these relays provides power to the high beams, or possibly, two of them. These can be unplugged and replaced easily enough. The sixth relay is not square, but rectangular, about one inch by 1/2 inch, by one inch high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2005 S60 2.5T has a fuse box, under the hood, between the air cleaner and the strut mounting, on the drivers side of the car. The cover is black plastic, and can be removed. There are 6 relays inside. Five relays are square, about one inch by one inch, by one inch high. I suspect one of these relays provides power to the high beams, or possibly, two of them. These can be unplugged and replaced easily enough. The sixth relay is not square, but rectangular, about one inch by 1/2 inch, by one inch high.
Any idea which relays are responsible for the high beams?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for this car at hand. I suspect that each high beam lamp has it's own relay, and if that is true, then the relays are probably not the cause of your problem. Both of them would have had to fail at the same time, which is not very likely to happen. You might have a bad cable connection between the CEM and the fuse box, where the relays are located. This can happen when the molded plastic water tray, located just in front of and below the windshield, gets clogged with debris and fails to drain properly. There are several funnels molded into the tray, and this is where the leaf litter, catkins, and acorns tend to accumulate. If the tray overflows, water can get into the wiring, and cause corrosion in the connectors.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ok, be sure that the light switch is not in the wrong mode. If you try putting brights on with switch on daytime running mode, for instance, I believe that brights don’t stay on. They will flash on though as you hold stalk...I think...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, be sure that the light switch is not in the wrong mode. If you try putting brights on with switch on daytime running mode, for instance, I believe that brights don’t stay on. They will flash on though as you hold stalk...I think...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was my thought. I hesitated because he said he's seeing nothing from the high beams, they should flash even if they won't stay on.
Certainly worth checking the switch position though. Turn it to the full "on" position and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
17,094 Posts
R doesn’t have high beams. It has focus controlled main beam only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts