SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2005 S60R Auto stuck in park

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  StealthyS60R 
#1 ·
I apologize for bringing up such a heavily threaded subject, but I'm still not sure what the prognosis is.

05 S60R.
Here is what I've experienced:

Start car in the morning, all seems normal.
  • Attempt to shift out of park, gate feels closed, it's not happening.
  • I turn the wheel lock to lock, center it, tap the brake, wiggle the shifter, still not happening.
  • Check engine light comes on.
  • I leave, come back an hour later, start the car with the other key and it comes out of park (check engine light is still on).
  • I try to first key and that works, too. Car appears to operate normally, but with a check engine light

Is this a switch, a sensor or a mechanical problem (the button itself)?
The presence of a DTC clearly presents this as an electical issue, unless something else also just happened as a pure coincidence.
Any advice appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
have you done anything in the engine bay recently? i changed out my tcv and a hose got stuck in the way of the shifter cable and didnt let it move. open the hood and look by the fuse box / air box on the drivers side. youll see a piece of plastic with a boot and the cable on it. make sure nothing is blocking it or resting on it! that worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
So this fixed it. Sure enough, the harness was blocking the shift cable.
But would that throw a code? After I remounted the harness, the code remained for a few drive cycles, then went away.
I may order a new brake light switch for good measure.

Thanks again!

#3 ·
Could be your brake switch is getting intermittent, which would keep the park lock out from operating. Next time it will not remove the park lock, check to see if the rear brake lights are operational. If that looks good, could also be the lock solenoid on the shifter mechanism having issues too.

#4 ·
Try pumping the brake pedal a couple times. Maybe the switch is intermittent.

#5 ·
BaxtR: Interestingly enough, I looked and the 3 color labeled hoses (almost look like vacuum hoses, but one is definitely electrical) that are bundled together flat..just visible if you look down between the air box and fuse box......the hoses were lying on the shift cable.
The mount that holds them above in the airbox area seems to have slipped out of its notch. I put it back and all is working normally, but it was working normally (on it's own) before I did that, so who knows =o/
What concerns me are the DTC's. It has had a check engine light since this issue arose this morning...
Codes say "ECM code set", but I don't know what the code is or how to reset it. Not sure if I should trust the car just yet. Hmmmmm

#7 ·
Brake light switch. Located on top of the brake pedal. Simple and cheap.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.