SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've noticed that some people have had issues with their trunk. My trunk stopped working and for the life of me could not figure out what the cause was. Anyway, after shelling out a butt load of money to let the dealer fix it - the diagnosis was very simple. The wiring harness to the trunk became bad, moisture leaked into the harness and caused wire/metal fatigue, therefore causing some wires in the harness to break.

Here is something to check out, and in my mind a poor engineering design.

Here is the wire harness that connects the body to the trunk. Fully extended when trunk is open.

However when the trunk is closed, the wires bend on itself.

You can see here from multiple times of opening and closing the wires fatigue over time and break. The yellow wire broke, and the black and orange wire are about to break.

Another view. When I opened up the black rubber I also found some water in there. Even though this is weather sealed, there was corrosion in the black tube. Something to look out for.

If your trunk stops working, check the wiring harness. Replacement harness part #8697604 and can be found for about $36 online. Naturally, the dealer charged me 10 times that amount.... Sad day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the photos, these are great! Does anyone on here have experience replacing the trunk harness? Are there photos of it being replaced?

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is common on the Jeep Cherokee doors too, I always just stagger splice them together and heat taped it, so its water proof. No need to buy a new harness unless you want too. The wires are still there.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think it's safe to say it happens on every car.

Happened on my 99 M3, 96 A6 and 91 740

1 - 6 of 6 Posts